1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help urgently required - APP in secondary school

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by Inkblot, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Inkblot

Inkblot New commenter

Are students allowed to go back as well as forwards in your school? My school is insisting that APP means that they can go up levels - never down sublevels. In a subject like English where the level descriptors are onerous and you inherit a class from a teacher who might not interpret a 4a in quite the same way as you, is it feasable that they might be a 4b in October (following a reading assessment) after getting a 4a in the summer (mainly off written work in APP book with a LOT of assistance from previous staff)?
    Please help, I am feeling really got at!

2. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I know, what is the point of assessment if it's not honest. This is something i struggle with and could really do with schools, or maybe government, giving some guidance on this. Are we to be honest about the work's level, and risk pupils showing no progress over the year, or play to the statistics?

3. Inkblot

Inkblot New commenter

Sounds like this is a problem in your school too. What bothers me is I often get pupils in Yr 7 with level 4 in English when really they are level 3 and have had a reader/scribe/extra time, I am then put under huge pressure to give them a higher level in November than I think they are at not to disappoint the parents. It gets worse - then the teacher who eventually gets them for GCSE is judged by FFT data set on SATs results -he got a level 5, should be a B at GCSE etc. and if he is not then it's obviously the teacher's fault. Why don't we stick up for one another and just be honest?

4. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We are constantly told that KS2 test results are the most reliable and have recently been told that primary schools are much better at assessing than we are. But as you say, many of the pupils achieving level 4 are probably closer to a 3 but have had the support that tips them into the next level.
    We then get hammered for them not making the desired progress and told that we 'can't argue with the data' which has absolutely no consideration for the human factor; we are dealing with human beings not numbers on a spreadsheet.
    It always seems strange that pupils don't seem to have much independence in higher years; again we are to blame. But does this have something to do with the ways they are taught in primary? Are they as independent as we are led to believe?
    League tables, targets and inspections are more than likely at the route of some lack of honesty, education has become a culture of fear that prevents the best performance of its teachers and something has to give.

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

A teacher has to use their professional judgement in all ways when it comes to this.