1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help... unsure about my NQT time!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by BG2012, Sep 11, 2012.

1. I dont think that sounds right. It should be time where you are doing activities that will help you professionally. E.g going on courses, observing other teachers and schools etc. I've also used it for a bit of a catch up session until i get a bit more confident with it all.

2. This is my feeling too but I'm not sure how to deal with it! I think I will wait to the end of the week so that I can see how much of my timetable I have been teaching for... any ideas on how to broach the subject appreciated.
    Also is 2 hours PPA time the right amount? I work full time...

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

As long as your contract follows the STPCD, you should have a minimum of 10% PPA time, which will probably work out at something like 2.5 hours per week (with a further 10% NQT time on top).
    You really should have a timetable set before you're in the classroom - all schools have to get staff in place before the year starts, so this isn't something that should 'surprise' management. Don't wait for it to happen or not, go and ask.

4. I was expecting to get 2.5 hours PPA but have only been allocated 2 hours, I know its only half an hour but as an NQT I feel I will need all the time I can get!
    I have been given a timetable with NQT time but so far I have been teaching for the sessions which should be my NQT time, I am fairly sure that I'm not getting the time I am entitled to but I guess my problem is how to bring this up?