1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Tutoring a group of three, all with different ages.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Georginalouise, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Georginalouise

Georginalouise New commenter

I was asked to tutor siblings together a few years ago, although they were at secondary school. As the conversation unravelled, it became clear I would be a babysitting service as the parents would want to go out. Also, when I asked about the children's current performance at school, I was told that it wasn't relevant to the tuition. I turned the work down. Explore exactly why he wants them tutored in a group, and why not tutored individually for 30 minutes each, for example.

2. I'd also wonder why he wanted them all tutored together. Is the year 6 a little behind and at a similar level? I've had an enquiry recently from someone with a 13 year old girl (with special needs) at the same sort of level as her 9 year old boy - I haven't worked with them but said I would be willing to have a chat and see what they can do and whether it could work.

You could certainly do topic based work and set differentiated tasks for each child to match their levels - I'd suggest that most of the time would need to be spent on individual tasks with support from you though - rather than leaving one or more of them finding the topic too easy or difficult in group activities.

As for a babysitting service, I think you need to be very clear about your fees and whilst not expecting necessarily 3 x your fee to tutor 3 children at once you might want to suggest double or double and a bit, explaining the extra time you need to plan for 3 pupils instead of 1. If they are looking for a babysitting service this would then price your services far above that of a teenage neighbour! - And rightly so.

3. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Personally I don't think I would take this on. If the Year 3 is doing similar work to Year 6, how come the Year 3 needs a tutor? I agree with the poster who suggested he is looking for a babysitter!

4. becstar76

becstar76 New commenter

Hi there
    Thank you all for your replies. After reading your advice, I have e-mailed him back requesting more information on his children's needs. If they are all at very different levels and have different areas of weakness, then I think I will decline the work. I think planning for a group like that would be too labour intensive for the discounted rate I would have to charge. Like primarysteve and langteacher pointed out, If the year 6 is working at the same level as the year 3 child, why does the year 3 child need a tutor? Hmmm - will wait for the Dad's response and go from there. Will let you know what happens. Thanks again for your great advice (as usual) [​IMG]

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

or suggest 30 mins each like someone else said and see what he says