1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Tricky LSA!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hippo5226, Jun 19, 2015.

1. hippo5226

hippo5226 New commenter

Am a year 2 class teacher with an LSA who's been at the school for years, and is rather unpopular! My main concern is her tone and manner with the children, zero positive strategies are used. She doesn't shout as such but speaks to the children in an unpleasant tone. After a year of modelling positive behaviour strategies and never raising my voice she is still rude and angsty with the children. As well as this she often doesn't listen during whole class input meaning the group she works with frequently don't achieve the learning intention and have to re do their work. Any advice would be much appreciated as want to make things work!

2. Calamity54321

Calamity54321 New commenter

Will you have a new one next year? If so, then you've got four more weeks - too late to make any real changes. I'd just leave things as they are and move on ready for September.

3. hippo5226

hippo5226 New commenter

Unfortunately I think she will be with me again next year. But thank you for your reply .

4. Calamity54321

Make sure that you tell your head how you feel, explain that your teaching styles are too different for you to work together and request that you're not together next year.

5. asnac

asnac Lead commenter

Good advice; and in this conversation highlight your concerns about pupil progress as that will be the key issue for the HT. You may find that you are not the first to object to having this particular LSA.

6. hippo5226

hippo5226 New commenter

Thank you both for the advice. Will have to speak to the head I think! Am not the first person to express concern no. Progress was a concern this year! Will be my main point I think.

7. Calamity54321

I would also bring this up in the meeting. If the Head hasn't already taken action to address this then it would be in his best interests to do so immediately.