1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - Traditional tales and fairy tales - Topic - Fairy tale day ideas???

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hlhendo, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Hello...

Next week we are going to be starting our new Topic this term which is Traditional tales and Fairy tales.

To lauch the topic we are going to come off imetable all morning/posibly all day - to let the children explore fairy tales.

However i am struggling for ideas - i am YEAR 1

i thought about - children are allowed to wear a fairy tale costume, activities could include -

looking at fairy tale books

Listening to fairy tale stories in the listening corner.

Role play - we have a fairy castle.

Making fairy take cakes

Ordering numbers - on cinderellas coach - (**********)

However, im stuck for any more ideas - my class are quite able to i was thinking of adding some writing ideas but not sure what.

Any more ideas?????

Thanks x

2. Anyone????

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

Fairy cakes, though lovely in their own right, don't have very much to do with fairy tales.
    My own approach is to consider [in your planning] the common themes of fairy tales. That way, as a bonus, the children will also be learning about storytelling conventions and will begin to sense them in the most natural way possible.
    'Magic' numbers: three, seven and twelve. Have I missed any out?

Forests and woods: fascinating to most children.
    Wishes, spells, happy-ever-after:
    Delicious envy, cruelty, misunderstandings etc....

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I know I'm looking at mainly European stories here. The thematic approach still works when one looks wider afield, though.
    I have a bee in my bonnet about fairy/traditional tales. I don't like all this focusing on one for weeks on end approach. How will children ever learn about the way stories work unless they hear or read loads of them and begin to spot the conventions?

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry, I forgot that you wanted ideas for a fairy tale day.

6. Nick Sharrat's 'Mixed up Fairytales ' would be good to use. A fairytales quiz a la who wants to be a millionaire with some suitably silly options. A consequences type game ie s good fairytales character met a bad character, one said, the other said etc. There is a magic potion formula somewhere on the Ey forums I will see if I can find it. Eve

7. Here it is:-
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/561831.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Get mixing eve

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Take individual photos of the children dressed up, laminate them and mount them on small blocks. Use these with other small world fairytale items (castle, dragon, troll etc.) for story making.