1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help to vary the menu? On the cheap!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Pandora Peroxide, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Pandora Peroxide

Pandora Peroxide New commenter

I'm a bit of a reluctant cook and am looking for ideas on varying the menu but on the cheap. at the moment we tend to go for stuff that is quick and easy to prepare:
    Spanish chicken - now being made from peppers, tinned toms etc not a jar of sauce
    Some sort of pasta with sauce - pepperoni and tomato bake type things
    Curries
    Fajitas
    Chicken/pork roast dinners or salads
    French bread pizzas or quesedillas (have to use lactose free cheese)
    Enchiladas (using a kit)
    Lasagne/spag bol (pre-made sauces)
    Steak or ribs and chips/salad
    Simple freezer food like fishfingers or those coated chicken portion things.
    There are 3 of us eating - 2 adults and a teenager. Problem areas are - lactose intolerant daughter so we have to use rice milk and lactose free cheese and she's quite a picky eater, I hate fish products and cold meats so no leftovers, OH will eat most things.
    Any help gratefully received.

2. Pandora Peroxide

Pandora Peroxide New commenter

I'm a bit of a reluctant cook and am looking for ideas on varying the menu but on the cheap. at the moment we tend to go for stuff that is quick and easy to prepare:
    Spanish chicken - now being made from peppers, tinned toms etc not a jar of sauce
    Some sort of pasta with sauce - pepperoni and tomato bake type things
    Curries
    Fajitas
    Chicken/pork roast dinners or salads
    French bread pizzas or quesedillas (have to use lactose free cheese)
    Enchiladas (using a kit)
    Lasagne/spag bol (pre-made sauces)
    Steak or ribs and chips/salad
    Simple freezer food like fishfingers or those coated chicken portion things.
    There are 3 of us eating - 2 adults and a teenager. Problem areas are - lactose intolerant daughter so we have to use rice milk and lactose free cheese and she's quite a picky eater, I hate fish products and cold meats so no leftovers, OH will eat most things.
    Any help gratefully received.

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Soup - it feels more like a meal with some part-baked bread or rolls just cooked in the oven.
    Stews - there are so many variations and they are very easy. I'll let Bethannie come along and recommend the slow cooker. I would suggesting starting with a classic Irish Stew.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/greek-lamb-stew-recipe/index.html
    This is a real favourite stew in our household. You would have to leave the feta off for your daughter but it's sprinkled on at the end so that would be easy enough.