1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help to reinstate PGCE Bursaries

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TKD86, Aug 30, 2011.

1. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/162

Please could everyone sign the petition above to help PGCE students in the 2011/12 academic year get back the bursaries they deserve,

Thank you.

2. what if we don't want to? I think the Government is right to consider carefully where to spend it's education budget. It is our choice to train to become teachers, as it is for trainee docs to become doctors (and same for other professions). They don't receive a bursary and end up in considerably more debt than teachers.

What makes us student teachers so special?

3. The issue is not so much whether PGCE students should get a bursary, but the fact that the 2011/12 cohort is the only cohort to have them cut/removed, since the government is reinsating them (often at much higher rates) from 2012. Also the government only announced the cuts halfway though the application cycle, so many students had accepted places before they know they were getting nothing, making it very difficult to manage the course financially.
    Also, doctors stand to earn considerably more than teachers very soon after graduation, and for the rest of their careers.

4. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

Didn't 2010/2011 cohort not get one either? I think the bursary (although at times a good idea) is in general wrong. The number of people who trained when I did, taking the bursary and either not finishing or have decided to not go into teaching is quite high. There is a shortage of jobs at the moment for teachers and the rate the ITT providers are churning out NQTs needs to be reduced. I agree with the previous poster when they say the government need to think about how they spend their education budget..... surely putting the money into schools is more beneficial than in training an already saturated proffession (for primary at least and many secondary subjects). Remember the BEd students get NO bursary.

5. There are bursaries in 2011/12. They are just for shortage subjects. The government does not have the money for everything and needs to target spending wisely. The evidence points to there being a glut of teachers in some areas, so much so, that many are unemployed for months/years after qualifying. Why should the govt. spend money training more teachers in these areas? If you can answer that then maybe you'll get somewhere with persuading the govt to change it's mind.

6. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

We did, but for many of us it was reduced. I'm secondary history, and if I'd trained the year before I would have got £6000 instead of the £4000 I got. To be honest, at the time I was surprised it wasn't cut altogether sooner, as I knew already that there were more NQTs than jobs available. I do feel for the new cohort though - cutting bursaries for one year only is hardly fair.

7. I completely agree that there is a surplus of teachers in certain areas (especially primary), but the answer is surely not to cut the funding to train, but to cut the number of places offered. That way we are training a sensible number of people to get jobs afterwards, but making it financially viable for them to train. The government this year has actualy increased primary trainee places by 6%, which is not the way to address the surplus!

8. Good-point choca_holic. I didn't realise they'd increased numbers but I suppose, as they're not paying them a bursary then it is not 'costing' them anything. Makes no sense, though!

9. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

You need to cut the places all together. No teacher training for x number of years until the majority of unemployed NQTs have a teaching job.
    Last year (before the 2011 cohort qualified) 50% of 2010 NQTs and 25% of 2009 still did not have a job! This last year I have seen less adverts for primary teachers than the previous year when I qualified, so I'm guessing there will be similar numbers if not more without jobs from the 2011 cohort.
    What you need to be thinking about and petitioning about is the 16month NQT supply rule that states after 16months from your first day of supply, you can not teach in a state school unless undertaking induction. With the numbers of unemployed NQTs that there are, soon there will be lots of them who can not work because they have reached their limit.
    The bursary does help those who want to teach get through the PGCE year financially, but it also provides people with money who think teaching is an easy option or they will just train and not get a job afterwards.

10. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Then you don't have to sign. Easy.

11. Primary places might have increased by 6% but a lot of secondary places have been cut by 50% art and design in particular. with many universities just giving up on ITT courses all together due to only having 3-4 places