1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP theory action divide

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ScotSEN, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Hi
    This is a bit of an unusual post for personal but I'm trying to reach a wide audience
    I'm at the 'tidying up stage' of my work based project. (Chartered Teacher M.Ed level work) Sorting out references and that kind of thing. I've mentioned theory action divide - with reference to the notion that research used to be done by researchers rather than teachers. I'm sure I didn't coin this term myself but read it somewhere (and would like to reference the author) only now I can't for the life of me find any reference to it anywhere.
    Any ideas/ suggestions of where to look would be gratefully received! I've tried google but no joy!
    Thanks

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is it like mirror signal manoeuvre?

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Thanks
    I've got lots on Action Research, which from what I can gather came about in part as a way of overcoming this 'theory action divide'

4. I think I posted the wrong link from my web search. I hope this pastes without all the gobbledygook added to it:

http://www.joci.ecu.edu/index.php/JoCI/article/download/28/46

-

5. The divide between theorising about something and actually doing something with the theory?
    That is what Action Research is - puching researhcers from thinking to doing.
    Perhaps you did make it up!!

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

now that s the problem i have with my yr 3 lol
    swift kick up the rear do you think?

7. It might have been better if I had proof read it before posting!
    But yes, my A Level lot are no better - soooooooooooo lazy!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

try yr3 when most are level 1 and over half come from ESL2 backgrounds..i have kids who arrived in from another school and dont even know the first basic 250 key words lol

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Perhaps I did but I was sure I'd read it somewhere! Mind brain is turning to msu so I could be imagining things. Will need to get in touch with my tutor after the hols - she might have soem ideas.

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

thanks shalteir interesting article although it doesn't have the phrase I was looking for.

11. I've spent a few minutes researching this, even came up with a web link to this TES discussion!
    I thought I'd try searching for a book of academic phrases, came up with something I would have found personally useful for myself, but it doesn't throw up the origin of your phrase:

http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/