1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Theo!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by star7890, May 5, 2011.

1. Theo,
    Ive found a job in my ideal type of school BUT I really want management points (and feel i am able for them!)
    Ideally I would wait until a job came up in an ideal school that was giving points but the jobs have been few and far between this year and I really want to work in an independent school.
    I am going to apply and (hopefully!) go for interview but I wanted to know if it was acceptable to ask in interview was there a (small) management role going. I will be the only teacher of that subject in a largish dept. To be honest its not about the pay but more about my self esteem knowing that I am capeable. I want the job title more than the money!
    Also - im wondering about the application form. As well as the usual statement in the middle about my fantastic experience and how i meet the job spec they ask for futher details and how you meet the job discription in the covering letter. Im really confused by this. In a covering letter i normally just say dear x, enclosed is my app form, looking fwd to hearing for you and sign. Should i repeat the same thing in my covering letter?
    Thanks soooo much.

2. Theo,
    Ive found a job in my ideal type of school BUT I really want management points (and feel i am able for them!)
    Ideally I would wait until a job came up in an ideal school that was giving points but the jobs have been few and far between this year and I really want to work in an independent school.
    I am going to apply and (hopefully!) go for interview but I wanted to know if it was acceptable to ask in interview was there a (small) management role going. I will be the only teacher of that subject in a largish dept. To be honest its not about the pay but more about my self esteem knowing that I am capeable. I want the job title more than the money!
    Also - im wondering about the application form. As well as the usual statement in the middle about my fantastic experience and how i meet the job spec they ask for futher details and how you meet the job discription in the covering letter. Im really confused by this. In a covering letter i normally just say dear x, enclosed is my app form, looking fwd to hearing for you and sign. Should i repeat the same thing in my covering letter?
    Thanks soooo much.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK.
    Q1 Yes, say that you are anxious for extra responsibility and wonder if there would be the possibility of being officially in charge of your subject, for your own professional development.
    Q2 Golly! You need to learn all about applications! Best and easiest way is to sign up for the seminar on 14 May, although I am not sure if there are any places left now. There were just 2 places left an hour ago. Try fast! Link below.
    There is also clear guidance on how to write an excellent application in the Welcome thread of the JobSeekers Forum. Read the shortlisting clickables and the FAQs, these will answer your questions.
    Also read the Welcome thread on Independent, to get the background information.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    * * * I´m told that although there´s still 9 days to go, this is nearly full, with extra chairs being actively sought. Book soon or lose your chance!* * *

The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May
    BUT NOW SOLD OUT. EXTRA SESSION now arranged for afternoon of Saturday 14th.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!