1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help teaching VC words!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bornie88, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I am an NQT. Phonics teaching has been going well and I have one group who are brilliant but then I have one child in my class who even now, struggles to blend VC words. It is obviously really holding him back in reading and writing. His older brother and sister were, and are, exactly the same but I want to be able to do something to help him progress.

Have you any ideas for activities I could do with him one to one and perhaps activities I could suggest/or worksheets for at home?

Please, please help!

2. I am an NQT. Phonics teaching has been going well and I have one group who are brilliant but then I have one child in my class who even now, struggles to blend VC words. It is obviously really holding him back in reading and writing. His older brother and sister were, and are, exactly the same but I want to be able to do something to help him progress.

Have you any ideas for activities I could do with him one to one and perhaps activities I could suggest/or worksheets for at home?

Please, please help!

3. Is it the skill of blending that he is struggling with or recognition of the graphemes? Is he able to orally blend and segment?