1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! (Teaching Spanish students)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Kinsa, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Have been asked to do a morning session at a Spanish summer school to cover their proper teacher. They are about 12 years old and this will be their last English lesson. I was thinking 'NO!!' but my mouth said 'Yes' and I can't back out now. I did do 3 weeks some time ago with the school but I had an advanced group and just treated them like a top set GCSE class. I am really struggling to think of things to do. I can't sing and have some hearing loss: they have really strong Spanish accents and it's difficult for me to understand what they are saying even if it is just one speaking at a time - a rare occurence going on past experience!! They are nice kids - allegedly - and I don't want to let them down. I would be eternally grateful for any ideas for activities. Don't have access to computers or dictionaries or magazines, paper, glue and scissors or marker pens which is why I am struggling. And I don't know what they have done with their proper teacher. Please help me - I'm waking up worrying about it !!

2. Have been asked to do a morning session at a Spanish summer school to cover their proper teacher. They are about 12 years old and this will be their last English lesson. I was thinking 'NO!!' but my mouth said 'Yes' and I can't back out now. I did do 3 weeks some time ago with the school but I had an advanced group and just treated them like a top set GCSE class. I am really struggling to think of things to do. I can't sing and have some hearing loss: they have really strong Spanish accents and it's difficult for me to understand what they are saying even if it is just one speaking at a time - a rare occurence going on past experience!! They are nice kids - allegedly - and I don't want to let them down. I would be eternally grateful for any ideas for activities. Don't have access to computers or dictionaries or magazines, paper, glue and scissors or marker pens which is why I am struggling. And I don't know what they have done with their proper teacher. Please help me - I'm waking up worrying about it !!

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

OK, don't panic, are they using a book? But really you need to do a one-off lesson, you can trawl through the different TEFL websites, or do a newletter activity with them.
    Set each child or pair to write up about their town in Spain, include a section on football or whatever they are interested in, food, fashion, famous places.
    They could do advice for Spanish students coming to England next year, they could write letters in English. Or advice for British kids going to Spain. They could produce a phrase book.
    Do you know what level they are?
    I can send you a listening comprehension activity if they are pre-int or one I did with my classes (Upper Int) last Friday as the Russians and Israelis were leaving.

This is a useful website. http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

If you PM me your email address I'll send you some ideas that I use with 12 - 14 year old Germans.
    How long is the lesson? Do you know what your friend has already done with them?

5. tThanks, Lapinrose. Yes, They do have a book but I haven't got access to it. I think they are the third class of three but I am not familiar with EFL levels. With the previous class, I ignored the book since their written English was perfect. We did oral activities like 'persuade me to come to Bilboa' and a television news programme with topics drawn at random. I like your newsletter idea and writing advice for English students. I also thought of asking them to write a report about their trip to England. I need to have a variety of activities in case they have already done them with their teacher. I also thought about a little vocabulary competition in teams: write down as many colours, animals, clothes etc and then get them in turn to write answers on board and reward them with choccies from a convenient tin of Celebrations we won in theTwinning Quiz night (for coming last!) As they are young, I thought we could play 'Simon Says'. Oh thank you, my mind's beginning to unblock.

6. Thank you, dozy. I don't know the teacher of the class. She is an NQT and going to her new school on an induction day. Really wish it had been the next day when the kids just watch dvds!! The morning is 3 hours with a 15 minute break after 90 mins. I have no idea what they have already done. The Spanish lady who organises the summer school keeps being grateful 'for all my experience' but it is NOT in EFL!!! (I limped through a previous cover session a year or two back, but didn't feel good about it.) So, will PM my email to you. Really grateful!

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

You could get them to do a survey, prepare a list of questions and go out into the street to ask English people, then write it up.

I've got some new students today as well, tested Italians, Polish and Russian kids for levels yesterday.

8. Unfortunately, the venue is too far out of the town to do that - and I'm not familiar with the area.
    Enjoy your new students! Thanks for your ideas so far.

9. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Hi Kinsa, did you forget to PM me? I've got an email ready to send you with lots of attachments.

10. I thought I had - must have done something wrong. Will try again!