1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Teaching Assistant Level 2 Interview for Reception Class

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by alhawkins21, Nov 28, 2015.

1. alhawkins21

alhawkins21 New commenter

Hello!

So basically I've been out of work since July after finishing working as a Year 1/Year 2 TA and Speech & Language 1:1 for one academic year. I only trained for my L2 last year, and my most recent job was my first school role (bar my training). I'm 23 and graduated from uni in 2013, and since being out of work have found it difficult to secure another job. Every piece of feedback I've received after interviews has been related to my 'not having enough experience', which unfortunately can't be avoided. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? :(

Luckily I have an interview on Monday to assist in a Reception class, full time! (The dream!)

I only spent the final term of school in Reception, so have limited early years knowledge - even though Reception would be my ideal class to work with!

Does anyone have any advice based on what might come up in my interview? Any early years knowledge I might find useful? I also have an 'unseen written task' to complete after the interview, and I have no idea what it could be based on.. Any ideas? I want to prepare as best as possible!

Also, does anyone have any idea how I could overcome my age barrier? For future occasions too. Obviously employers can't discriminate based on age, but I do feel that sometimes 'not enough experience' translates as 'too young!'

I've already put too much pressure on myself (not good) as I really want/need this job, so any help would be appreciated :) xxx

2. KatKam33

KatKam33 New commenter

Do some research on the Early Learning Goals 2015. Also think about how children learn. FS children learn through play and planning usually takes place based on what the children are interested in, after observing them. For example if a group of choldren are role playing soldiers, super heroes, farming police, etc Then planning should follow a similar theme. The areas of the class will be divided into numeracy, literacy, ict, role play, creative area, quiet area (usually reading corner), malleable, sand and water. There can be other areas it all depends on space .

They may give you a scenario and ask you to tell them what you'd in that situation or perhaps ask you to plan some activities for a group of children. If you are asked to prepare and deliver an aactivity they will ask you to reflect on how it went. Be honest! If it was rubbish tell them it was rubbish and explain what you would do to make it better next time. If it went well you still need to reflect on the best bits and how you could extend their learning next time. Best of luck