1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Teaching Assistant Level 2 Interview for Reception Class

Discussion in 'Personal' started by alhawkins21, Nov 27, 2015.

1. alhawkins21

alhawkins21 New commenter

Hello!

So basically I've been out of work since July after finishing working as a Year 1/Year 2 TA and Speech & Language 1:1 for one academic year. I only trained for my L2 last year, and my most recent job was my first school role (bar my training). I'm 23 and graduated from uni in 2013, and since being out of work have found it difficult to secure another job. Every piece of feedback I've received after interviews has been related to my 'not having enough experience', which unfortunately can't be avoided. Everyone has to start somewhere, right? :(

Luckily I have an interview on Monday to assist in a Reception class, full time! (The dream!)

I only spent the final term of school in Reception, so have limited early years knowledge - even though Reception would be my ideal class to work with!

Does anyone have any advice based on what might come up in my interview? Any early years knowledge I might find useful? I also have an 'unseen written task' to complete after the interview, and I have no idea what it could be based on.. Any ideas? I want to prepare as best as possible!

Also, does anyone have any idea how I could overcome my age barrier? For future occasions too. Obviously employers can't discriminate based on age, but I do feel that sometimes 'not enough experience' translates as 'too young!'

I've already put too much pressure on myself (not good) as I really want/need this job, so any help would be appreciated :) xxx

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Hello. You may get a better response on other forums, such as:

Career clinic , Early Years, or:Teaching Assistants (?)

3. alhawkins21

I will try that, thank you! First time posting :)

cissy3 likes this.
  4. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

There might be teachers there who don't think its acceptable to use the word r etarded....

5. alhawkins21

Pardon?

6. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Don't worry alhawkins. The poster is bringing over a disagreement from another thread.

7. jamiedoorknob

8. jamiedoorknob

The poster is questioning what your opinion is worth if you consider that to be acceptable language.

9. alhawkins21

Well this discussion is totally irrelevant to my original post, and I'll be deleting it due to @cissy3 signposting me to the correct place.