1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help: Teacher Leaving Assembly

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Isobeleh, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

I am currently completing my PGCE. My mentor (teacher at this school for 6+ years) is leaving at the end of this academic year. I have been asked to prepare something for my class (his last class at this school) to perform and/or share in a leaving assembly, which will take place after I've left and when he is teaching his class again. The school has recently held a similar assembly for a teacher leaving on maternity leave - her class shared the things they love about her (each child standing and reading a sentence or two).

I am stuck for ideas for what my Year 3 class could do! I want to do something different from the recent leaving assembly of another teacher. I have limited teaching experience as it is and this is potentially a daunting task. I have only known my mentor for a couple of months, therefore I am relying heavily upon the children's knowledge of him.

Any ideas of what they could share or perform would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. eliot371

eliot371 New commenter

If you google leaving poems you can find something which the chn could then use as a template for their own personal goodbye poems. Could make an acrostic poem using their name for chn to read - M for marvellous R for etc. Alternatively take a song and personalise it to the school / class / topics they've covered. Chn could learn a goodbye song / verse too? Also a photo album with picture from child and a goodbye message "I remember when we..." things that they've enjoyed the teacher teaching them / school trips etc..?

Sorry just quick ideas - good luck

3. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

Thank you so much!

4. noonan123

noonan123 New commenter

Hi there!! I'll give you a few experiences I've had in this field

When I was leaving my old school, the whole school had rehearsed a dance to the song I'll be there by Mariah Carey, and there was videos and pictures of me and my classes being shown, was quite overwhelming seeing a hall full of students and teachers dancing for me, I didn't expect to cry, but I did!!

Another was last year a teacher who had worked at our school for 37 years was about to retire

Her favourite saying was "happy days", so again the whole school rehearsed a dance to the happy days theme tune, that was great fun!

And finally, a teacher who had taught year one for longer I've been alive was leaving, as she taught year one, she'd taught all the kids in our school, and remembered all their names!! Each class made her a little book, full of memories of being her class, and how lovely she is etc. The song 'thank you' by Dido played as two people from each class walked up to hand her the book, she cried for hours

It is a horrible day leaving a school, yet a very emotional one, good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide to do, he will love anyway as it is his class giving something back to him!

5. Isobeleh

Isobeleh New commenter

Thank you, I've had a secret meeting with class and I think we've decided on a mash-up songs and changing the lyrics, with a bit of dance thrown in as well!