1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help ! Talk to governors

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caramel, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Please help. I have to give a talk/trainging for governors on the foundation stage and wondered which way to approach it. I don't want to go down the pure data track. I would rather make it more interesting and interactive. ANy suggestions would be good as they appear to know nothing about it.

2. If, as you say, the governors don't know anything about EYFS I would introduce them to the curriculum. Talk about the equal emphasis of the 6 areas. Introduce them to some of activities you plan and resources you use. Show them how you follow the interests of the child, how you assess and plan for development in order for children to meet their full potential. You could show them examples of how you collect the data when you are showing them what they need to know about the data.
    I think it is a really good idea to make it interactive, get them thinking about how you can use a particular resource in different ways, let them play - I'm sure they will enjoy it just as much as the children!
    Don't panic - help them to understand what you are doing and why so they can help to support your school better!
    Good luck, hope this helps[​IMG]

3. Thank you. The meeting is straight after parent teacher meetings so being interactive will keep me focused as well.

4. What are your professional views of the EYFS?
    Perhaps they would be interested to hear of some of the issues?

5. Thanks for all your comments. The meeting went well. They started by saying that they really had no idea about what EYFS was. I started by giving them a sheet about the principles and aims. I then showed them how I collected evidence and onto what I had to record it.
    We then looked at some of the photographs I have used as evidence and asked them to tell me what they thought the children could have been doing. Some of the ideas were shocking. 'playing, running around, playing with instruments, drawing.Once i pointed out the learning it began to get interesting and I think (hope) that they now understand what a difficult job we have. They did ask about what I thought about early years and I tried to be honest but not be seems to negative. I did say I loved the job.
    I would recommend talking to the governors and would do it again. Once again thanks