1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP !!!!! TAKE JOB OF DEPUTY OR NOT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by andrewj2000, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Hello guys,

I am James and I am confused right now about my career choices and was wondering if you could assist. I have been teaching now for 6 years and recently our deputy headteacher has moved to a different school. Since his departure the Headteacher on a number of occasions has asked me to put myself forward for an interview for the job.

I do think I am ready to possibly go onto Deputy Headship as I have taught in all Key stages apart from two and I am currently head of Year 5 and 6 curriculum. However, I was wondering what the job security is like once you step up to the Deputy head role. Is a role of both deputy and headship particularly vulnerable positions if Year 6 SATS results maybe not up to scratch. You may call me naive but I really am unclear.

Obviously their is significant pay increase put is this worth losing Job Security. Any opinions would be welcome

Thank you

James

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

There are two crucial questions to ask here. How well do you get on with your head teacher? And was the previous deputy happy in their role? A huge amount depends on your relationship with the head and the relationships between the reat of the staff and the head.
    I was in this position and didn't take the headship because although I get along with the head okay, the rest of the staff don't all the time. I would feel that my loyalties were divided between the head and the rest of the staff. I don't like running with the hara and the hounds and to be honest, I prefer to be one of the minions than smt.
    Good luck though, it's a fantastic job if you can find the right position.

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

If your head has suggested you put in for the deputy position then go for it.If you are successful you will be an assistant head as you are an internal candidate ,not that it makes any difference to the job
    You will have to decide where your loyalties lie as mentioned by the other poster as you will be part of the SMT and not able to discuss issues with other members of staff.This can be tricky when other members of staff moan about things or give their opinion....they do not have th 'big picture' and you do need to support your HT.This is where you will have to step back from the gossip ,leave the room whilst staff let of steam etc
    The job security is fine,I don't understand how you would think you are vulnerable.Your headteacher must have faith in you as they have asked you to apply.
    good luck

4. Is this true?

5. Thank you very much yes I do agree that it would be were my loyalties but if I am honest they lie with the children. If becoming Deputy helps me give the whole school of children the best chance then that would be better than just 32.

I just thought that may be the case because of the whole idea that headteachers are more like football managers now. Is that the case In primary schools.

6. No that is not true at all. The role of assistant head differs from that of deputy head and is nothing to do with internal appointments.

7. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

Sorry if I caused confusion with my comments about assistant head/deputy head.
    I was appointed internally at my small primary school and was told I was assistant head not deputy because it was an internal post,,,,this may have changed now (6 years ago).
    I do all that a deputy would do and take charge of the school when HT is out or away on courses,this was made clear to me when I took the position what ny role would be.To deputise when the Ht was out of school.

8. inq

inq

You have taught 6 year groups in 6 years, you've just joined TES, used your full name to discuss something this important with slightly shifting/ unclear details.......um.......

9. inq

inq

Just reread your last post - you have been teaching 6 years and 6 years ago you were appointed as assistant head but now doing all a deputy should do.
    I get more confused the more I read, but I appreciate that that could just be me!
    Presumably your middle leadership course(s) and possibly NPQH training will be helping you realise what is involved and help prepare you for this type of post.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think you are mixing up two different posters...

To the OP, you might want to ask this on the SMT or HT forum.
    To be entirely frank you haven't mentioned here (and I am well aware you probably haven't mentioned every single thang and would be silly to do so) anything that suggests you are ready for DH. Things like whole school projects, middle leadership roles, etc. However if your HT is practically handing you DH on a plate and you want to progress in your career you would be daft to say no.

11. inq

inq

I'm confused as
    post 1 says
    I have been <u>teaching now for 6 years</u> and recently our <u>deputy headteacher</u> has moved to a different school. Since his departure the Headteacher on a number of occasions has asked me to put myself forward for an interview for the job.
    and post 18 says
    I was appointed internally at my small primary school and was told <u>I was assistant head</u> not deputy because it was an internal post,,,,this may have changed now <u>(6 years ago).</u>
    I do all that a deputy would do and take charge of the school when HT is out or away on courses,this was made clear to me when I took the position what ny role would be.To deputise when the Ht was out of school.

I'm still not 100% convinced that OP isn't a troll, sorry if I've got it wrong.

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Post 18 is a different person, ing, and they were explaining what they had written in post 3.
    Hope this clears it up for you.

13. inq

inq

I said it was probably me!!
    Thanks for clearing that up!