1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help TA level 3 interview and a 20 minute reading task

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by teresa36, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Hi all please help, i have an interview on Thursday and have been told to bring a book to read to a small group of foundation stage and yr1 children. I will be expected to ask questions about the book then go on to the interview.

What book do you recommend and what kind of questions should I ask? I am so nervous

Teresa

2. I don't think you can beat 'The Gruffalo' story. Whatever book you use I would sit down with a pen and paper and write a basic plan using the story. Where are you going to ask questions, what questions you are going to ask. What do you want the children to get out of the story? eg maybe to be able to describe a character.
    Is the Gruffalo bad? good? what about the mouse? How could we describe the Gruffalo? Children could come up with sentences to describe him. He has a poisonous wart at the end of his nose, He has terrible tusks, knobbly knees etc.
    Make sure you have some stickers and use them to push positive behaviour. Use lots of praise. Be assertive and take command of the children.
    Don't be nervous! relax and enjoy the experience. They will be looking at how you interact with the children, how you manage behaviour etc and I am sure once you have all those littlies around you you will be too busy to be nervous.

3. The rainbow fish is another good story with lots of questioning possibilities....

What do you think could have happened next??

Who do you think??

What was the main idea?

Who was the main character?

Knowledge Level
    What happened after??

How many??

Who was it that??

Describe what happened at??

Who spoke to??

Can you tell me who??
    This is from Blooms taxonomy.........which probably means nowt at this stage? Unless you are familiar with it of course!!! This is the type of questioning we use when reading with children.......
    Good luck.

4. Thanks Greenteaaddict I was considering the Gruffalo, it happens to be my favourite story, one which I can be very animated and get into character. Thanks for your advice. Teresa

5. Thanks Boomerang, I have not read the Rainbow fish, I will dig it out tomorrow at work and have a look. I will go for predictiction and influence when asking questions. You both have given me some great ideas. :) Thanks, Teresa