1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! Struggling with Numeracy planning!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Sunny24, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Help!
    I am on Week 2 of my second placement (PGCE Primary Part-time), and have to plan a weeks work on Symmetry for a mixed ability Year 5/6 class. So far, I have planned to look at Lines of Symmetry, regular 2d shapes ( and their lines relating to no of sides etc) and Symmetry in Nature for the first lesson. I then thought the rest of the week we would look at reflective ymmetry and co-ordinates, rotational symmetry and translation. The problem is thinking of a creative, inteersting way of teaching it! I could plan the lessons and set them work with the textbooks, but how boring would that be?
    Are there any Maths geniuses out there with some interesting ideas on how to make symmetry interesting? Any ideas would be welcome as I am really struggling and in need of help. (Maths is NOT my strongest subject...can you tell?!)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Help!
    I am on Week 2 of my second placement (PGCE Primary Part-time), and have to plan a weeks work on Symmetry for a mixed ability Year 5/6 class. So far, I have planned to look at Lines of Symmetry, regular 2d shapes ( and their lines relating to no of sides etc) and Symmetry in Nature for the first lesson. I then thought the rest of the week we would look at reflective ymmetry and co-ordinates, rotational symmetry and translation. The problem is thinking of a creative, inteersting way of teaching it! I could plan the lessons and set them work with the textbooks, but how boring would that be?
    Are there any Maths geniuses out there with some interesting ideas on how to make symmetry interesting? Any ideas would be welcome as I am really struggling and in need of help. (Maths is NOT my strongest subject...can you tell?!)
    Thanks in advance!

3. Bedfordshire Maths Planning is very useful for planning, for future reference.

4. I'm not sure where translation would fit into your Symmetry topic.
    I would have thought drawing pretty patterns and playing with mirrors / tracing paper is interesting enough if you are used to spending the hour doing grid multiplication (for example) but maybe that's just me liking maths?!
    Giving them cut-out paper shapes that they can handle and fold is worth doing to help them with lines of symmetry - mainly to see that a parallelogram generally doesn't have symmetry. Bit time-consuming to prepare though.
    Symmetry in nature is a lovely idea. What else will the class(es) be studying, e.g. in history? Chances are there'll be something symmetrical in there too.
    Pretty unoriginal, but I'm imagining a lesson (on the Friday?) where they design symmetrical designs on blank Easter eggs, for example - i.e. give them an egg shape with a mirror line and they (or you) design one side and then do the reflection. [This is the kind of thing I remember doing in primary; maybe it is not allowed now!] Or you could find symmetrical pictures of things they would find interesting (cartoon characters?) and crop them along a line of symmetry... might be difficult to make it easy enough though.
    In my experience kids can reflect something touching a horizontal or vertical line with no problem, but give them a diagonal line and/or move the shape away from the line and things start to go very wrong! If I had a whole week to do symmetry I would be focussing on ironing out these issues.
    Rotation symmetry puzzles: http://www.conceptispuzzles.com/index.aspx?uri=puzzle/sym-a-pix