1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! Struggling with Numeracy planning!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sunny24, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Help!
    I am on Week 2 of my second placement (PGCE Primary Part-time), and have to plan a weeks work on Symmetry for a mixed ability Year 5/6 class. So far, I have planned to look at Lines of Symmetry, regular 2d shapes ( and their lines relating to no of sides etc) and Symmetry in Nature for the first lesson. I then thought the rest of the week we would look at reflective ymmetry and co-ordinates, rotational symmetry and translation. The problem is thinking of a creative, inteersting way of teaching it! I could plan the lessons and set them work with the textbooks, but how boring would that be?
    Are there any Maths geniuses out there with some interesting ideas on how to make symmetry interesting? Any ideas would be welcome as I am really struggling and in need of help. (Maths is NOT my strongest subject...can you tell?!)
    Thanks in advance!

2. Help!
    I am on Week 2 of my second placement (PGCE Primary Part-time), and have to plan a weeks work on Symmetry for a mixed ability Year 5/6 class. So far, I have planned to look at Lines of Symmetry, regular 2d shapes ( and their lines relating to no of sides etc) and Symmetry in Nature for the first lesson. I then thought the rest of the week we would look at reflective ymmetry and co-ordinates, rotational symmetry and translation. The problem is thinking of a creative, inteersting way of teaching it! I could plan the lessons and set them work with the textbooks, but how boring would that be?
    Are there any Maths geniuses out there with some interesting ideas on how to make symmetry interesting? Any ideas would be welcome as I am really struggling and in need of help. (Maths is NOT my strongest subject...can you tell?!)
    Thanks in advance!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

http://www.beam.co.uk/mathsofthemonth.php If you look on this site and click on shape and space for the relevant age, you'll get some good ideas.

Some more on here: http://nrich.maths.org/public/leg.php?ct=1&cl=2&dl%5B0%5D=1&dl%5B1%5D=1&dl%5B2%5D=1&group_id=12&cldcmpid=&code=134#results

You do seem to be planning to cover an awful lot in just one week, have you been given any guidance about what aspects of symmetry to cover?

4. Thanks for that, I'll have a look. I have looked at Primary Resources and maths.co.uk amongst lots of others! There's lots of resources out there, it's just knowing what to include! In answer to your question, I have been given very little guidance on what to cover. I was basically told to plan a weeks worth of Numeracy and to choose between money & symmetry! I haven't taught much Numeracy and am really struggling with this one!