1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - struggling with a dyslexic child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by must be crazy!, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Well, as the title suggests!
    I have a dyeslexic child in my year 4 class. Never taught one before, and I am struggling to know where to begin with her. I have a TA 2 mornings a week who can work with her, but what do I do with her for the rest of the time? So far, I have spent most of my time with her and another child who is working at a similar level, but what about the rest of the class?
    I am complaining to anyone who will listen as I am already worried about failing her, because I seriously don't know how to cope. It has been suggested that she has sheets etc to work through, so I can work elsewhere in my class, but what and where from?
    Sorry to rant a bit, but does anyone have any positive pearls of wisdom to share... please???

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Have you read the IDP? What about the SENCO? There should be interventions available.

3. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

There is a lot you can do. What are her difficulties? Are they reading, writing, sequencing of ideas, organisation, working memory - or all of this?

4. erm, writing primarily, sequencing ideas, organisation, following instructions. SENCO has given me a book from the library, but no more practical help yet, just sympathy! Nice but I need so much more than that

5. I wouldn't take the worksheet advice as most of her issues are going to be down to a difficulty reading and spelling. So you may find she will need you more. Producing multi-sensory lessons and using visual queues can be an advantage. Repetition is also important, as in some cases there may be a difficulty interpreting what is being said. This all depends on the severity. Your school should be able to help you when it comes to identifying things she finds difficult. Try to keep things simple. Don't overload documents or slides. Also consider colour scheme. With some students reading can be easier on coloured paper. I tend to also use a blue(background) and yellow(text) colour scheme if producing presentations.

Like I said this will depend on the students preference and difficulties really.

Hope I could be of some assistance

6. I thought the same about the worksheets, but I DO need something for her to do, so I can TEACH the rest of the class. Not sure I know what a multi sensory lesson looks like in year 4, when I am expecting her to work alone, without support? I had wondered about coloured paper, which is best? Her reading is currently not too bad, its the recording she is struggling with.
    GRRRRR feeling stressed already. Where's the wine??

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

8. That was what I thought too. Thanks for the website advice,
    I know that no-one can do it for me, but I need a bit of guidance to enable her to access the curriculum as much as possible
    These comments are really supportive, more so than I have had from some of my colleagues unfortunately, so thank you TESers!!!
    I knew I could count on you

9. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Message me your email and I'll give you some detailed advice