1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!!! Structure of the day!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by peatles, Jul 31, 2011.

1. I have a new teacher coming to work with me in FS2 and she is very keen to add mroe structure to the day. Her current practice whihc she wants to bring with her is to me very old school.
    Handwriting 10 mins
    Phonics 15mins
    Phonics activities follow up 20 mins
    CLL input whole class15 mins
    CLL activities at tables, all children
    Snack/Break
    PSRN whole class input
    PSRN actvities at tables
    Lunch
    Topic input
    free play
    story.singing at end of day

During table times children will be in ability groups after the first few weeks but will remain at their table on a differentiated activity.
    I questioned her about free flow indoor.outdoor and she said this would just be in the afternoon??? There may be the odd activity outdoors but no free flow/child initiated.
    I am devastated about this...or is it just that I am wrong?!?!?
    Any thoughts gratefully received!!!

2. I have a new teacher coming to work with me in FS2 and she is very keen to add mroe structure to the day. Her current practice whihc she wants to bring with her is to me very old school.
    Handwriting 10 mins
    Phonics 15mins
    Phonics activities follow up 20 mins
    CLL input whole class15 mins
    CLL activities at tables, all children
    Snack/Break
    PSRN whole class input
    PSRN actvities at tables
    Lunch
    Topic input
    free play
    story.singing at end of day

During table times children will be in ability groups after the first few weeks but will remain at their table on a differentiated activity.
    I questioned her about free flow indoor.outdoor and she said this would just be in the afternoon??? There may be the odd activity outdoors but no free flow/child initiated.
    I am devastated about this...or is it just that I am wrong?!?!?
    Any thoughts gratefully received!!!

3. The whole morning is adult-directed, and this is very hard on such young children, who need time to explore their surroundings and discover and pursue interests and activities, as well as communicate positively with each other, learning how to get on with their peers.

4. Good heavens where has she been for the last few years? Is she to be the FS leader? If not then can you show her your routines and ask her to fit in with you?
    Not only is it very structured it is very literacy numeracy heavy and at this moment in time the six areas still all have the same weighting for time! And ability groups the m ind boggles!
    This is an example of the daily routine given to me on a training course about 5 years ago and we have used with minor changes ever since!
    Example of a Daily routine in EYFS

Morning routine

8.45 - 9.15 System for self registration

Whole class teacher directed in-put

(eg number rhymes and games/object to explore eg bean pods
    and vine a tomato plant with roots, flowers and tomatoes/ poems to listen to
    and join in with etc)

9.15-10-15 Child initiated work - indoors and outdoors.

(Plan, do and review sequence used. Variety of planning
    methods used for this depending on the child’s stage of development. Prime opportunity for adults to OBSERVE).

10.15-10.30 Review
    or Re-call

(An opportunity for some children to practise and
    consolidate the following skills, using memory, explaining, sequencing,
    widening vocabulary etc. The listeners will have an opportunity to practise
    listening and questioning skills.)

10.45-11.45 Teacher directed/teacher initiated work

11.45 - 12.00 Teacher directed in-put whole class

12.00-12.10 Record keeping

Teacher and TA discuss observations made that morning and
    record significant achievement.

Afternoon
    routine

1.15 –
    1.30 Whole class teacher directed in-put

(Possible
    focus catch up after lunchtime. E.g. did you enjoy lunch? What games did you
    play? Etc )

1.30 –
    2.30 Child initiated work

(Indoors
    and outdoors available. Children make
    choices, decisions and carry them out.
    Adults carry our observations and interact as appropriate with
    children. Progression/challenge built
    into planning as and when appropriate for individuals/groups)

2.30 –
    2.45 Tidy up time

(Opportunities for children to sort, match, take responsibility
    and co-operate while tidying away resources)

2.45 –
    3.10 Teacher directed input

(Possible
    curriculum focus story time, shared reading, shared writing)

3.00 –
    3.15 Preparation for home time

There is
    no playtime shown because the children have an outdoor area which is used all
    year round on a daily basis.

5. This routine sounds good to me. Does anyone follow this routine with R/Y1? Any suggestions for adaptations for catering for both Key Stages?

6. peatles- "During table times children will be in ability groups after the first few weeks but will remain at their table on a differentiated activity." Has the new teacher not heard about the EYFS?? you sound like you have a challenge on your hands. good luck.

7. Oh My God!![​IMG]
    Peatles, I hope this person is not your EY manager.
    If it is just a case of someone wanting to do things their way, as opposed to being in complete control of the planning, and you find they are difficult to bring round to a more EY friendly way of planning, then enlist the help of your Local Authority Early Years advisers.
    Ask for planning advice in a more general way, rather than making it at all confrontational.
    Good luck![​IMG]

8. yep EY manager....she treating me like an nqt who knows nothing....I've been teaching 10 years, she has been teaching 2!!
    This is how she did it at her last school.
    I am so worried about all our littlies coming who have been used to free flow learning....

9. other problem is that it is 1 big classroom like fs unit for all 0 rec childrne so can't even do my own thing in my own room....

10. You do surprise me. Often the younger(?), newer teachersare all fired up with the more modern philosophies of EY education.
    My own battle has been with a newer teacher who rejects all my ideas on the grounds of their being tried and tested and therefore old!!
    Personally, I think it's all about balance.
    Not much help to you. I will give it some thought and see if there's a way forward where you can find some balance with your new EY manager.

11. Oh Peatles - poor you! I would suggest you meet with your HT and see if this is what s/he want for the school and if it is you may be better looking for another school. My own experience has been it that it is very hard to fight against the SLT!

12. Good advice. But rather sad if it means leaving a school you were happy in.

13. pineappleyoghurt

pineappleyoghurt New commenter

I suspect behaviour will very quickly become an issue in this new environment. The children have no chance to be free.

14. I think you are going to have to try, very tactfully, to ask your new person why they believe this tight structure is the best way to go.
    Agree that it will have its merits, but suggest that a looser version could have the same, whilst having additional benefits.
    My younger, less experienced, but fortunately less senior colleague challenges my views regularly. While this can sometimes get a little annoying, it does mean that I am constantly looking at why we do things the way we do, looking at ways to improve what we do and giving her say in how things will go.
    I hope your new manager will accord you the same professional courtesy.

15. What is your Early Years Advisory teacher like, you could always get her/him in, it is always easier if it comes from someone else!
    I feel for you how horrible when you know a system works to be told you have to change to some awful out dated routine.