1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help - striking with no contract?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Ezaspi, Nov 28, 2011.

1. If I had a permanent, full time contract I would be striking on Wednesday, easy decision.
    However, I have only just got my first part-time temporary position, which I have started, but have absolutely no written contract. With no contract in writing I feel on very shaky ground striking. Plus the very last thing I want to do is refuse to work.
    Added to this I work supply on the other days when it is available in my subject and have already lost several days' pay since August due to being paid at the underclass rate :(
    Would I be "safe" striking without any contract in writing?
    As an employer, I would be less than impressed with someone striking in their first couple of weeks in a job. Given that I would want to apply for a permanent or longer term job at this school if it came up, I can't help thinking that striking wouldn't be a good idea in my precarious position!
    Any sensible comments please?

2. I would love to find out the answer to this myself.
    My thinking is that without confirmation from my employer I won't take anyone else's say. It is your career and you can't take someone else's work that your job will be 100% safe.
    Good Luck

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

It's possibly a little late to be pondering this. Anyway, no employer should be telling staff that striking will affect your chances of continued employment. If there was a suggestion of your striking influencing such a decision you should take action. However, I realise there may be a 'feeling' that they will think poorly without saying so. Best thing would be to find out the general mood in the school and if anyone know's the head's mood. Remember, SMT are teachers too!

4. The strike is a legal one and you cannot be dismissed (or even look bad) for taking the industrial action. Having no contract as such maked no difference. Your union ballotted and result was and is legal.

5. Thanks for comments.
    Sure no-one has suggested that I would be dismissed due to this, but I just wonder if circumstances might mysteriously change in a few weeks' time and I would no longer be needed. I have nothing in writing at all.
    I'm getting put through as supply until the PVG comes through so they could just claim I was only in for supply.
    Wish I had a permanent contract :(

6. Or even a temporary one...