1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! Started a new job and they now want to pay me less than the contract agreed salary!!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by stevencoopern, Jan 9, 2020.

1. LobbyLovingNortherner

LobbyLovingNortherner New commenter

Hi,

I have started a new role at a different school on an agreed salary with official letter etc.

Today I was called in by the Head who said they have offered me the wrong M scale salary, they went off the London one incorrectly. They now want to reduce my salary by £1.1k per annum. Due to us being a small SEN school and part of a multi academy trust the head said he will get back to me.

I stood my ground in the initial meeting but I want to know where I stand???

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

2. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

You need to check with your union regional office tomorrow and don't agree to anything before you have done it. They may need to see your contract/offer letter.

(My GUESS is that the Head's not got a leg to stand on, which is why he asked rather than told you to reduce your salary. But he could try and claw it back in the future by not allowing you pay progression or letting you go at the end of any trial/probationary period.... which is why you need to get professional advice asap. Just my guess- I have no HR/legal training)

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Totally a union matter. Ring the advice line and find out.

agathamorse, bonxie and stevencoopern like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Regional Union. (Not School Rep).

You have accepted a job on an agreed salary. You wouldn't have it accepted it otherwise. Sadly there are some heads who are 'con artists' around. It's the old 'use the bait and hook in a fish' trick imho.

Be measured in your response. And be prepared to say 'My Union are dealing with this' when asked or when the Head tries to pressurize you to agree something or sign anything. Do not allow yourself to be cornered.

5. install

install Star commenter

Change your user name on here if it is your real name also.

6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If the salary was included in your job offer, I don't think they can change it unilaterally. If they were mean, they could give you notice to leave on 30 April and offer to keep you if you accept the new salary. Unfair dismissal doesn't really take effect until you have been there two years. Or they could not give you pay rises until what you should get matches what you are getting.

I would keep your union informed, refuse to cave in and see what develops. However, there might come a time when you have a difficult decision to make. Perhaps keeping an eye open for another job would be wise.