1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Sixth form activity?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by benmorse, Jul 7, 2009.

1. In october, I have been tasked with coming up with an all day activity for 120 new year 12 students. And I'm currently drawing a big fat blank. Has anyone done anything good with theirs, or seen something good? I'm thinking team building, maybe focused around sixth form life.
    it needs to be:
    • In house
    • A budget of up to £8 per student
    • I can have lots of staff.
    • All day, and suitable for roughly 120 16-17 year olds.
    The best suggestion gets a free pass in their first teacher MOT....

thanks,

Ben

2. What's the aim for the day? Is it a sixth form college or sixth form at a school? (Will they all know each other already?)

If its a whole day you prob want to split them into smaller groups and do a variety of activities unless anyone has a genius idea!!

3. mpc

mpc

If I were you, I would go 'Crystal Maze' style with a series of physical & mental challenges with the winners presented with some kind of prize and certificate. All day is a BIG ask, mind! You will need to enthuse your colleagues and get them to come up with resources for you (puzzle boards etc). I believe there's quite a lot of stuff on the Internet. If you wanted to, one of your activities could be a quiz about sixth form life in your school (Who teaches in...? Which teacher enjoys gardening?) plus beyond ie UCAS applications etc.
    Best wishes. You need to get some of your colleagues on board to really make this work.
    mpc

4. when I was at school they made us do a radio show - gave us news reports every so often, and while they were filtering in we had to put together the four minute 6pm news. It had to last exactly four minutes, not a second more. We had to record it exactly when they said because that is when it was pretend 6pm

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

You may not have time to organise this now, but a school I used to work in arraged a day for Year 12 every July when the Forces (the Army) came in and ran a series of physical activities (assault course etc). Was generally popular - not least with staff who had very little to do!

6. Hi Ben
    I've been given a similar task - what did your 'day' end up involving? I was thinking of getting a company in to school to do something/run half a day of events, but currently I'm short on contacts.
    Thanks