1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help showing myself in a good light?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by CMA1809, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I have recently joined a department in a new school where I am just a classroom teacher. The HOD as mentioned that he would like me to be Assistant/deputy HOD which I am really grateful for. My major question is how do I prove to Senior Management that I am capable of this without making the others in the department, who have been there for several years, angry or put out. I am especially looking for advice as I know one particualr member who has been there the longest wishes to have the same post!

2. I have recently joined a department in a new school where I am just a classroom teacher. The HOD as mentioned that he would like me to be Assistant/deputy HOD which I am really grateful for. My major question is how do I prove to Senior Management that I am capable of this without making the others in the department, who have been there for several years, angry or put out. I am especially looking for advice as I know one particualr member who has been there the longest wishes to have the same post!

3. Firstly, get your teaching sorted out. Then think about doing something extra curricular that can go in the news letter. Make sure you acknowledge the SMT in the staffroom and be a presence on the corridors even if you are not on duty.