1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Should I give up on my dream?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Tom_Bennett, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Everyone should have dreams, and it's great that you;re progressing towards yours. However on the road to this Platonic ideal, be sensitive to the need to learn to adapt to the new situations in which you find yourself.
    Case in point: your relationship with the kids. It sounds like your default mode of communication with them is very social, and you like getting under their skin a bit. But children often misperceive this as an invitation to treat you like a tall mate, rather than as an adult and an authority figure- both of which you need to be in order to teach and assist them successfully.
    Of course you can have great relations with them, but the oldest teacher trick in the book is to start off stern and reserved with them, and then gradually open up as they learn to work with you. But education is primary, not being their friend. So reboot the relationships (hard, when they've become pally). Don't disclose too much about yourself, and don;t ask too much about their home lives. By all means do the latter a bit, but the focus is learning, always learning. If you really want to help a teacher, then help them to help the kid learn. If you want to be a teacher, that will be your main aim. It is best achieved by a professional relationship with the children, not an overly social one. If, when time passes, they respond well, and work hard and try hard, then you can try being more personable with them- but not before. They'll just make mince meat of you, even if they're small. Kids instinctively know when adults aren't in control.
    Also, if you're being pally with them, no wonder they won't take your sanctions seriously. It's like your buddy telling you you've got a detention! SO change the relationship. It will get easier after that.
    Good luck!
    <i style="color:#1f1f1f;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;line-height:16px;background-color:#e5f4fb;">Read more from Tom here on his blog, or follow him.[/i]