1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Should I apply, when I think my head bullies me?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by littlerussell, May 28, 2011.

1. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

I am confused.
    Are you employed full-time as a teacher by your school (covering PPA)?
    If so, then I can't see how you can apply. The Head employs x number of teachers on the same contract, and then deploys them as he/she sees fit. You are already contracted to the school as a teacher, and the school needs another one. The Head has, presumably, worked out at least a draft staffing plan for September, which includes yourself (PPA again?) and has identified the best place to put a new starter as Reception.
    In order to put you in Reception, then the HT would have to (a) cancel the whole recruitment process as the candidates presumably thought they were applying for a post which was initially in EYFS, and then (b) readvertise a post which is initially PPA cover. If the HT wanted to deploy you in Reception, then he/she would have done so.
    The only opportunity for you to apply would be if you wish to change your contract with the school: ie your contract is part-time, or the advertised post has responsibility attached to it (ie it would be a promotion for you).

2. I would suggest a change of schools. You will never thrive while that c*w has power over you.

3. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    My post is three days a week so I could apply as this would be a different role from my current one. My school is very static and no-one moves unless someone leaves, in this case retirement. The post will start from Jan 2012 not this September as the Governors are only looking to appoint an experienced teacher and if they don't find who they are looking for they will readvertise. Which is something they have done before!
    I understand all your points about leaving, I have tried but everywhere wants cheap NQTs not someone with 10 years experience.
    I will do the pros and cons, thanks for the tip!
    I guess I don't want egg on my face or my head/ chair of Gov the chance to put the knife in especially to my new head. But it could also put me in a positive light with the new head too, in terms of looking keen!
    I think it just comes down to the fact that I have totally lost my confidence within teaching and my own professional ability. And maybe this isn't the way to try to get it back!
    Thanks, I think this will be playing on my mind for sometime to come!

4. Rock chick0

Rock chick0 New commenter

Not every school is looking for an NQT. I have 10 years experience and I must admit, it has been a bit of a slog to get this job, but I was successful in getting a job recently. Try not to be put off by NQT's and 'cheaper' people because there are schools out there that simply want the best person for the job and that money doesn't always dictate...
    I think you would get a boost if you were appointed by a different school. Maybe you have been at this one for long enough and need a change.
    Good luck, I know it isn't an easy decision.