1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!! Short examples of how a writer creates tension.

Discussion in 'English' started by MRK1, Sep 2, 2011.

1. MRK1

MRK1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I need some help! I am trying to find an example from a novel or short story that demonstrates how a writer creates tension...and I am drawing a blank. If anyone has any ideas (or resources) I would be eternally grateful!
    Thanks in advance :)
    R

2. MRK1

MRK1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I need some help! I am trying to find an example from a novel or short story that demonstrates how a writer creates tension...and I am drawing a blank. If anyone has any ideas (or resources) I would be eternally grateful!
    Thanks in advance :)
    R

3. hi. I dont have a specific passage but i know that one of the themes we look at in StoneCold is how the writer builds tension/suspense. Maybe the last chapter where Shelter is attacking Link?

4. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Peter Benchley in his novel "Jaws" - the scene where the shark is about to attack the boy (first victim I think). He deals with this from two viewpoints and it's a good eg of tension building. Not sure what age/year you need this for but the build up of tension all through the chapter where Simon is killed in LOF is fantastic - lots of pathetic fallacy and great language analysis possibilities. Also, The Darkness Out There (short story by Penelope Lively in AQA anthology).
    The difficulty with this is that any decent attempt at building tension generally is quite prolonged. Can't think of short egs at the mo.

5. It can be hard going but I've had a lot of success with 'The Red Room'.
    Good Luck

6. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Try chapter 10 of 'Buddy' by Nigel Hinton. Also chapter 11 is good too - the kids break into a house to find out about 'the Beast'. Several tense moments.

7. ceesaw

ceesaw New commenter

J.K. Tolkien from 'Fellowship of the Lord of the Rings' where the Balrog kills Gandolf. I have the extract if you want it.

8. MRK1

MRK1 New commenter

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for all your help! Ceesaw, if you could email me the extract, that would be fantastic!
    Thanks again everyone- anymore ideas would be great.

R x