1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! SEN group of 6th-formers - engaging activities/ topics?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Jeanie-Ju, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Jeanie-Ju

Jeanie-Ju New commenter

Hi all!

I will be teaching a group of SEN 6th formers this year (years 12, 13 & 14 - varied needs but the 'higher level' group).

I will be teaching a variety of lessons including SEFL.

I will soon need to do a transition day where we all meet each other but I have never taught pupils of this age before!!!!!

Can anyone recommend any good activities/ work/ tasks we can do for the transition day - I have done the usual 'getting to know you' things many times in the past but I think they are going to need something 'cooler' as they are quite 'with-it' and I think the usual stuff I would do would be considered 'lame'.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not aiming to be cool - I just want to ensure that I really engage them and like to start off on a good foot!!

I will have mixed boys & girls (mainly boys) but I don't have much information yet about their interests!!

Any help appreciated!!!

Thank you!!! x

2. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

I don't know about being cool so I can't really help you, but I'd be tempted to do something 'real world' and purposeful, so that they feel respected and grown up.

A whole host of options here: jo.element42.org/educational-materials all free to download from various big organisations - the Amnesty, Oxfam or the HMD resources would be my suggestions.

Kind regards

Jo Grace