1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! School wants to fiddle SATs results

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stbens, Jul 9, 2011.

1. I work in a small independent school that has always prided itself on getting a high percentage of L5 results in the SATs. This year our number of L5s is lower (about 50% for English and 25% for Maths; 100 % achieved L4 or above in both subjects). The owners of the school are panicking because they think that these results will upset parents (although, knowing my parents I don't think it will) and so they are contemplating reporting false results to the parents. This is obviously wrong and I don't know what to do should I be asked to put my name to anything that states that these fiddled reults are "true". Any advice please? I have tried contacting my local union rep but cannot get through to him; is there a general number that I could use to get some advice from the NUT?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

Welcome to TES...... after nearly nine years

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

harsh? definitely. fair? probably. necessary? doubtful.
    contact your local office rather than just an individual, Hamilton House if that fails.
    why would the school ask you to do this? do they do it every year? just refuse if you are asked.
    Are you really surprised by this? Why wouldn't a private organisation (probably with low-tax charitable status) put the most positive spin possible on its public image? have you seen BP's 'green' adverts? or BUPA's sick-making claims to care about people's health?
    would the school be actually breaking any law if they do falsely report to parents? anyone know?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm quite surprised at an Independent school using NC tests to be honest

5. harsh-but-fair

What?

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

self-explanatory

7. harsh-but-fair

I think not

8. starlightexpress

starlightexpress New commenter

How can they be fiddled? Yes the school could report the wrong result to parents however with transfer of info linked to the child's UPN surely the Secondary School would be given the accurate results?