1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! SCHOOL SPORTS DAY

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by sone, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Calling anyone who can help!
    Me and my collegue have been thrown in at the deep end with organising a school sports day. We have had meetings, but since we are new to the proffesion and also have never done it at the school before, it is diffucult to know where to start. does anyone have any resources i.e. what needs to be organised when, and the ideal time scale.

Obviously we want it ti be fab. ANY advice or resources will be a great help to two desperate PE teachers. My email is sone@fsmail.net

Thanks

2. Calling anyone who can help!
    Me and my collegue have been thrown in at the deep end with organising a school sports day. We have had meetings, but since we are new to the proffesion and also have never done it at the school before, it is diffucult to know where to start. does anyone have any resources i.e. what needs to be organised when, and the ideal time scale.

Obviously we want it ti be fab. ANY advice or resources will be a great help to two desperate PE teachers. My email is sone@fsmail.net

Thanks

3. I organised an inclusive sport's day at my last school. We had children in house teams ranging from Rec-year 6 (groups of 5 or 6)- a small village school of 5 classes. They then rotated round different athletic events. Each event had an easier/ middle and harder option to cater for all ages/ abilities and points were scored for their team. It worked really well because all children was participating and were active. After this, we held the normal events eg egg and spoon, potato race etc - one event for each age group. We held heats before the day so only the final was held on sport's day. The parents and children loved it. It did take lots of organisation and effort but was worth it. I will see if I have the programme on my computer so that you can see how it worked.

4. sone-what age group?

5. Hi sone and looby,
    Took the liberty of posting an outline of our inclusive sports day to you.

Hope it is of some use.

6. Ali27 and Feedthegoat

Thank you both so much for your sports day plans! Big big help!

Looby x

7. Hi,
    sorry forgot to say which age group - KS3 and 4.
    Thanks to everyone who has already emailed me stuff! My email address again is sone@fsmail.net.
    Any advice/info/resources would be a massive help

8. kan

kan

Have same problem. Have to organise sports day for Rec- Year6. Would love a copy of your program if poss. Many Thanks

kanstroud@ntlworld.com

9. Hi,

Could I possibly grab a bit of the action and have a copy of the sports day plans, I have been handed the task of renewing! our school sports day

cheers

delshayler@hotmail.com

10. Hi
    Sorry. Just looked at link i put on before.

Look at http://www.bhfactive.org.uk/areas_of_interest/young_people.htm

Sport England Primary Schools Sports Day Toolkit
    The BHF National Centre has worked with Sport England to produce a Primary Schools Sports Day Toolkit. The toolkit details 28 easy-to-follow activities and a Teacher's Manual which provides guidance and supporting information to help run inclusive sports days.

The resource is distributed free of charge to schools involved in the Activemark award. Copies can be ordered at £15.00 each by contacting the Sport England website or by calling the Active Schools Helpline on 0800 169 2299 and requesting a Primary Schools Sports Day Toolkit flyer.

11. frustum

frustum Established commenter

Do you have access to a decent athletics track you could use for a day?

The best sports days I've been to (as a form tutor) were brilliant, and I'll describe them. They did use a big track though, but it's worth talking to the management of any tracks near you to see what might be possible.

The track was laid out so that all events could take place simultaneously: 800/1500 on the inside lane, 400 on the next two, 200 on the next two, and 100/hurdles in the outside lines on opposite sides. Then high jump, long jump, triple jump in the middle, plus throws in an adjoining field.
    Each class rotated round the events (more classes than events meant you got the odd break when you could play rounders or just rest), with about 15-20 minutes per event. Form tutors accompanied them, and often GCSE PE students helped. PE staff supervised throws and jumps.
    Stopwatches etc were left by each post, with a clipboard detailing what times got how many points. Completing an event got 2 points, then 3/4/5/6 for faster times etc. For the sprints, pupils ran in pairs, preferably pairing with someone of the same standard. For 800/1500, you started them all together when the other lanes were clear. For high jump, everyone had a go at 2 points, then the bar went up and they jumped again to try for more points.
    Sometimes they were allowed to skip one event of their choice (most chose 800/1500, which already counted as one event - they chose between).
    At the end, points were totalled and divided by the number in the class.

What was brilliant was that because they were working together as a form, they encouraged each other. Since everyone's points counted, it was as important to make sure the weaker ones scored 2 as it was to get a 6 instead of a 5. The kids who had had no-jumps would get pushed to the front of the queue by the others to make sure they had their chance to score, for instance. With the sprints, there might be time for some to have a second go, and it would often be those who'd just missed 3 points, rather than the best. They'd even cheer other forms coming past on 800m.

It was always a real fun atmosphere, and even the unsportiest kids enjoyed it.

12. WOULD LIKE TO ASK ALI27 IF SHE STILL HAS HER SPORTS DAY PROGRAMME ON HER COMPUTER AND WOULD SHE BE ABLE TO SEND ME A COPY AS IM IN CHARGE OF PICKING THE EVENTS FOR PRIMARY AGE CHILDREN.
    suzanne_zeverona@hotmail.co.uk

13. Hi
    I'm a student teacher in my second year and have been asked to organise and run a sports day in my placement school and a school local to me (2 sports days, how unfair?). So I was hoping people could forward the resources to me too

jess_simmo@hotmail.com

thank you so much

14. I'm running ours for the 1st time this year.
    Any chance of the odd resources or two.....too!
    Broadstone10@yahoo.co.uk

15. Hia, would it be at all possible to have some of your sports day info too! Cheeky I know!

thomasifan@hotmail.com

16. I got most of my ideas from the Primary sport's day toolkit but then adapted them to our school's needs.
    I have just sent out a copy of our programme to everyone that has requested it. Let me know if I missed anyone out.

17. Ali27 .........sorry to be a pain but any chance i could have your sports day info as got roped into to also so hope i haven't missed the boat !!
    Much appreciated if you could send to

kidnuget@hotmail.co.uk

18. okk

okk

Ali27 & feedthegoat is it possible for you to email me a copy of your sports day plans? Most grateful!
    oonaghpaul@aol.com