1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Same author - Horrid Henry stories or books by Julia Donaldson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by leavinglondon, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I have a boisterous group of year 2 children who quite FREQUENTLY behave like Horrid Henry amongst other undesirable behaviours - spitting, loud burping (which they think makes them look cool) kicking, strangling, fibbing, hitting, pulling of hair etc the list is ongoing. It gets WORSE!!!
    Would anyone with a class of this nature, teach Horrid Henry (same author unit) or choose authors who exemplify an opposite theme (Julia Donaldson)???
    would really love to hear your views.

2. i would choose Julia Donaldson every time but that is purely personal choice because my children love her stories as do i especially the axel sheffler (sorry if spelling wrong) illustrations. Horrid Henry is quite frankly horrid and i don't think children need new ideas. Probably stupid of me because they see it everywhere anyway but those are my thoughts.Also so many themes are covered by JD x

3. Julia Donaldson
    I really enjoyed teacher this to my Y2s this year, and I have some very boisterous Y2s too.

4. I'd vote for Julia Donaldson over Horrid Henry too. Alternatively you could try Daniel Postgate. In particular his Smelly Bill series, the Hairy Toe, and Englebert Sneem are all fabulous books. The Hairy Toe is particularly good to use for the children to create alternative endings to the story and is great for audience participation and drama. My Year 2 children always ask me to read this one to them. It has a scary element which they love!

5. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Oo thanks for this, never heard of Daniel post gate, just looked on amazon and his books look good. My ht bought me 3 sets of horrid Henry books a little while, so I feel inclined to do that, but I too don't like the stories and don't think my class need anymore ideas! Will look into Daniel postgate a bit more. Dunno how to explain to ht though!

6. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I prefer Donaldson for comparing books by same author - much more mileage. HH I keep as a class book for storytime.

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The Horrid Henry stories are all very much the same. Donaldson offers more variety and they will be very familar with her stories as they will have heard them over and over, not sure if it's a good or bad thing for your needs.

8. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I was going to say the same as Msz re the Horrid Henry books being too samey. They are just one long continuation. Julia Donaldson books offer far more and I would choose these every time.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are Julia Donaldson books not a bit young for year 2? Mine like to read them independently, but I don't think I would use them as a teaching story. I'd want something a bit more advanced, something most of them couldn't read by themselves.

10. Read them Beatrix Potter and calm them down! I mean it!

11. Thanks for your ideas everyone.
    @ jillhutton I will have a look at Beatrix Potter's tomorrow.
    I have chosen JD. @ minnieminx my initial thoughts were that the JD books would be too simple in comparison to HH but reading some of the books, I think the pitch is just right! They are a low ability group...behaviour issues and lots of EAL!!!

12. Hi jillhutton,
    I am in the process of ordering a set of Beatrix Potter's books - 23. Checked the reviews which seemed quite fitting for my class - manners and all. thanks for this again.

13. Having been in your position last year with a similar Y2 class and having done Julia Donaldson, I would beg you to do Francesca Simon! I was coerced into Julia Donaldson but wish I had stuck to my guns. The children didn't enjoy her books and they couldn't really relate them to. Our class book was a Horrid Henry and it was the only time in the day when they behaved like angels. You could get some really good thought-provoking reflections out of it as well.

Hope that helps.

14. Glad to have helped. I've done Potter for two years now and both classes loved them. Even the boys, who were sneering at first got into the charm of them. You can buy the dvds from the 1990s BBC which really help set the scene. You can also download the texts from the internet so the whole class can analyse them. I personally love Mrs Tittlemouse who is terribly tidy and particular.

15. If you are doing books by the same author maybe Martin Waddell? I've seen his books used really well for the year two topic.

16. How about Emily Gravett. LOADS of mileage in her books (my faves are Meercat Mail and The Rabbit Problem).

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I love Emily Gravett and so do my class

Last term we used a number of her books
    The Odd Egg
    Spells
    Wolves
    The Rabbit Problem
    Meerkat Mail
    Again!