1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Rowdy, disruptive, boyheavy year 4 class

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by nihonteach, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I have taught this class before and they are very disruptive, not bothered by sanctions, missing personal time etc. Try to make lessons with diff activities and get them from one task to next smoothly. Usually lasts until break and then its downhill for the rest of the day. Would appreciate any behaviour management tips or games I can use as a carrot to dangle in front of them to comply!

Thanks in advance

2. Get one of these:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kk5NMAMcq3o/Tbhit7QZIGI/AAAAAAAACBY/7axlehfU8dE/s1600/stuffed+afro+ken+008.jpg

Tell the kids that Ken can be in the middle of each table in turn provided...

3. Ok this one is time consuming. You need a chest can make your own http://www.amazon.co.uk/Treasure-Chest-Box/dp/B000W6S720/ref=sr_1_1?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1332875067&sr=1-1 . Then fit a combination lock. For being good students get part of the combination. When they have the whole combination can come and open the chest in front of the class. Rewards tiny packets of sweets etc that they need to take home to eat. They are boys so you need an element of competition with whatever you decide to do....

4. Are they not bothered about the sanctions because they are defiant? Are teh sanctions definatly followed all the way through? If my year 4 boys are disruptive I say "we will discuss your behaviour/ work at playtime" then at playtime we can discuss it, rather than having a 'heated' conversation with the rest of the class listening in. By doing this I have found the behaviour has improved a lot. I also make sure I follow through with any sanctions I have used. Hope things improve!

5. Sadly no time to make/buy chest before I next see them however the sweets reward thing is excellent idea as is the competitive element. Will get the sweets and yes, I ALWAYS follow through with the sanctions but sometimes get clobbered for lots of duty so sanctions do not follow from immediate poor behaviour! Will also do the 'discuss during your time' etc to take heat from confrontation.
    Thanks for tips - will try them out and let you know. Also devised quiz questions to try and introduce competition, raise interest and relate to learning so hopefully have a bit more in my arsenal now.

6. Hi
    I have been doing supply for about 5 years now and work mainly in tough primary schools.
    I have prize box and a book of 2000 raffle tickets. I make a big thing at the beginning of the day about my raffle and how I want to notice children for good behaviour. I dish out my "golden/magic" (raffle) tickets liberally for EVERY positive response, eg, answering questions, sitting up when asked, etc. The children write their names on the tickets and I collect them in a suitable container.
    I am VERY generous with giving out the tickets and try to ignore poor behaviour. Usually the difficult pupils start to conform to get tickets. At the end of the day I draw out 5 tickets and the winners get to choose a prize from my prize box (a plastic biscuit "tin"). The prizes are, eg, glittery pencils, scented pens, rubbers, small toys, etc which I buy in packs from Pound type shops - I find I can keep the cost of the prizes to c10p each.
    I avoid using sweets as some schools do not like sweets to be given because of healthy eating policies. I support this as the NWest, my area, has the worst child dental health in the UK!!
    I use this system with ages R to Y6 and it really works well for me. I have even used it when I was asked to support a class of difficult Y7s in a High School. In schools where I'm known the children ask if I'm going to do my raffle.
    At around 50p a day it is well worth the cost.
    I hope this helps.
    Billji

7. Wish I had read this yesterday! Will make it my mission to buy raffle tickets etc. over holidays and small bribes. Think this is an excellent idea as if I have another day like today again soon may seriously consider my suitability to dealing with children in a teaching capacity at all!!! Sorry you know when you have one of those days when you feel beaten!
    However, your message has given me renewed faith!

Thank you

8. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

When I was an NQT I started my supply career in the most horrible places! I tried alsorts of things including once sticking mars bars to the windows (out of reach) so they could see them when inside and outside the classroom. I had a tick chart with all names on etc.... years before the healthy eating thing came in. I don't think taping carrots and bananas to the windows would have the same appeal! :)