1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Rotting fish smell . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Peapods, May 26, 2011.

1. A bowl full of Bicarb of Soda on each shelf with a slice of lemon in each bowl. Bicarb 'soaks' up the smell over a few days.

2. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I suppose you could redecorate the inside of the freezer?
    a vinyl wallpaper or maybe a fresh minty green cellulose respray
    Always test on an inconspicuous area first.

3. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Definitely! When I asked for advice here about getting rid of the dreadful smell of spilt cream in my carpet, bicarb did the trick where all other deodorisers and cleaners failed!

4. Bicarb of Soda and lemon - don't forget to pull freezer out and clean underneath, too!

5. What a disappointment. I was all fired up, expecting to hear that an old flame had done the old prawns sewn into the curtain lining trick - and got this instead! They do make a product - OUST? which is supposed to neutralise smells from hard surfaces. Might be worth a try?

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

My wife threatens to spray vanish on me to see if it works....i aways suggest bicarb! lol
    Brings me up sparkly new!

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Buy a new freezer! [​IMG]
    Seriously - I was going to suggest bicarb too.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I beleive the fishy smell is caused by hot bakelite which was the 'plastic' (actually a thermosetting polymer resin) used in very old electrical fittings.

9. Lemon does neutralise the smell too.

10. I would try using the bicarb dry........I think.
    spread sheets of kitchen roll on the shelves and sprinkle them liberally ......?
    In the meantime - would having a lighted candle in there be any good ......?
    and if no bicarb available white vineger o r any vinegar ?

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Following done:
    • washed out with water and Fairy Liquid to get rid of rotting fish smell
    • washed out with thick bleach to get rid of rotting fish smell
    • washed out with lots of water to get rid of smell of bleach
    • washed out with lemon juice to get rid of rotting fish smell that had returned, and also still bleach smell
    • another wash out with water and Fairy Liquid to get rid of everything
    • Dishwasher deodorant placed inside
    • NOW: bicarb spread out on the shelves and in trays.
    Let's see what happens.
    Thanks to all for suggestions

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.
    A new Moving to Headship or SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!