1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! -Returning to teach after 6 years - (supply teaching)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by suziewong21, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi, I am looking for some advice.
    I left teaching 6 years ago,
    as I was supply teaching, unable to find a permanent post. I left as I
    was offered a permanent post with a company working as a mentor and over
    the past year I have completed my DTTLS Literacy qualification, whilst
    working a s a tutor teaching basic skills. I am being made redundant in a
    few months and have decided to give teaching another try and have been
    contacting supply agencies in my local area. However, the response I
    have received is not what I expected, they are saying that they will not
    register me unless I can get at least a 6 weeks placement in a school
    so they can get a recent reference. Does anyone know if this is the case
    with all agencies? I really feel like i would like to give teaching
    another go, and with all the experience I have gained since I was last
    in the classroom think I have a lot to offer. Any advice would be most
    appreciated.

Thanks
    Susan

2. Hi, I am looking for some advice.
    I left teaching 6 years ago,
    as I was supply teaching, unable to find a permanent post. I left as I
    was offered a permanent post with a company working as a mentor and over
    the past year I have completed my DTTLS Literacy qualification, whilst
    working a s a tutor teaching basic skills. I am being made redundant in a
    few months and have decided to give teaching another try and have been
    contacting supply agencies in my local area. However, the response I
    have received is not what I expected, they are saying that they will not
    register me unless I can get at least a 6 weeks placement in a school
    so they can get a recent reference. Does anyone know if this is the case
    with all agencies? I really feel like i would like to give teaching
    another go, and with all the experience I have gained since I was last
    in the classroom think I have a lot to offer. Any advice would be most
    appreciated.

Thanks
    Susan

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Depends where you live, but in many areas supply is fast dying out. I believe agencies have too many teachers already on their books, for whom there's simply not enough work.
    Or are they basically suggesting you do 6 weeks' 'unpaid' placement for them? In which case I would be wary.

4. I can fully sympathise with this. I'd been considering going back to teaching to save me from drowning in a quagmire of debt in a poorly paid admin job. I trained in 1972-5, and haven't taught since 2002, so when I contacted a supply agency, they 'mentioned' that I hadn't taught for eight years. It has filled me with doubt.

So I thought I would do the Return to Teaching course, but couldn't afford to leave my job last year. So when the opportunity for voluntary redundancy arose this year, I thought this was my chance to return to teaching AND I'd been on a brief course which had suggested that there was plenty of One-to-One Tutoring around.

So I have left my job and started hunting for teaching work. What a bloody fool I am.

I'm sitting here now, having a struggled to find out how on earth to get a CRB check done (virtually impossible) how to get some One-to-One work (I'm told it's all been allocated by now) and I get precious little support from anywhere. Bursaries for Return to Teaching courses don't now exist so I can't even afford to give myself support and confidence by taking a course.

I don't believe there is a shortage of teachers. The gaps are filled by untrained Cover Staff, who are given no support, and have too much SLT teaching offloaded onto them. I believe there is far too much management in schools and not enough professional contact with children.

I do believe there are plenty of Graduate teachers who think of it as a career path, not as a vocation, and enter teaching without even considering whether they enjoy the company of children and young people. They probably love their subject, but can they transmit it to students?

I despair of Teaching, and in many ways I will be happy to make money from something else, where I don't have to struggle until the end of yet another dreadful term. This is the strong message I'm getting from those still in teaching. They say "I can't wait to retire and get away from all this stress."

So now I'm looking at working on Market stalls. Good eh? I doubt I will ever get anywhere near teaching ever again. Not for the want of trying, I assure you.

5. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

I don't know how many of the threads you've read on this site- but it is undoubtedly tough at the moment. The fact there are so many teachers unemployed with agencies wasting their time, suggests there isn't enough work. What annoys me is the teachers currently employed who are incompetent at teaching, disorganised, bad managers and everyone knows it yet they still command salaries close to £40,000! I recently worked in a school where the class teacher was off ill. Another teacher told me that she had worked in the school for 12 years and there wasn't a single year where the teacher had actually done a complete year! This teacher was on about £50,000 and I covered her class for 8 weeks on a salary not even close to a qualified teacher's rate. If you have been out the profession for the length of time you have, it will be impossible to get back in. Save yourself the disappointment.

6. When agencies don't want you they don't have the guts to say this, I suppose because of discrimination legislation (You are too expensive, therefore too old). This means that they suddenly come up with 'just one more thing' like the detective Columbo. Examples include: a third academic reference; a character reference from someone who has known me 3 years; a character reference from someone who has known me 5 years; a CV which details everywhere I have been day to day for the last ten years. To cap it all I have just received a call to do a day's supply at the school where I was made acrimoniously redundant in 1997 and was the one school I have told every agency that I do not want to teach at. This is the first offer of work in almost 5 months and I have had to turn it down. I wish agencies would listen but their real customers are the schools and we are just the tools who get used and thrown back into the toolbox when no longer required to wait for the next time.