1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP RESTORE PROPER PAY FOR ALL TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by SecondarySupplyTeacher, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Scottish Supply Teachers are asking all permanent colleagues to support
    their campaign to restore professional wages for supply staff. All we
    ask is a £10 donation to help us take legal action. No-one knows how
    their circumstances will be in the future and it is in the interest of
    all teachers and pupils that supply pay is restored to proper rates.
    Please go to http://www.scottishsupplyteachers.com/apps/donations/ and help the Scottish teaching profession make a stand against the derisory treatment by COSLA and the Scottish Government.

Regards
    ST

2. Scottish Supply Teachers are asking all permanent colleagues to support
    their campaign to restore professional wages for supply staff. All we
    ask is a £10 donation to help us take legal action. No-one knows how
    their circumstances will be in the future and it is in the interest of
    all teachers and pupils that supply pay is restored to proper rates.
    Please go to http://www.scottishsupplyteachers.com/apps/donations/ and help the Scottish teaching profession make a stand against the derisory treatment by COSLA and the Scottish Government.

Regards
    ST

3. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Great idea and I'm in for £100.
    This is also a chance for EIS members to show they have more solidarity with their teaching colleagues than the sell-out merchants among the EIS leadership!

4. socrates82

I see the fund is up to £550 already.Great to see the support from permanent friends and colleagues, hopefully some more others can manage to help.

5. I've donated. I'm fizzing about the supply situation, even though I have a job (for NOW - it's temporary)
    I don't think anyone in this profession should be ignoring the plight of supply teachers. Apart from the financial implications for the supply staff affected, there's got to be a negative knock-on effect to Scottish education, surely. I foresee the introduction of Cover Supervisor staff eventually, like they have in England.

6. socrates82

Well done CK! You're totally correct about the negative effect on all Scottish education and the status of the teaching profession.I was talking to my doc today and she said if she worked as a locum she'd be expecting a HIGHER rate of pay - not 47% less! The EIS leaders who sold out last year have a lot to answer for ... but at least some of us are taking the fight back to Cosla/SG.Every donation will help this profession at least try and stand up for itself!

7. Well done all donors - but I really can't. I'll be out of a job again a week on Tuesday. They'll tell me at the Jobcentre that I'm a supply teacher, and can't sign on until term starts again. I'll fall further behind with my gas and leccy bills and mortgage.
    I have family commitments (elderly parents, and illness in my own family) that make supply teaching perfect for me. I am, like so many of my supply colleagues, fully experienced in all primary stages, and quite frankly, one of the best in the business.
    I get paid less per year than kids I taught only a few years ago who are flipping burgers, and wondering if I might want fries with that, while planning what they're going to do when they go to uni next year.
    Good luck to them - but I thought I was in a union.
    EIS?
    Not a union. Please leave it now.
    Sam

8. socrates82

A sad situation Sam.

The fund is now standing at £890 and, with around £500 to come in pledged money, SST are getting there!

If you can spare £10 to help, please do so:

http://www.scottishsupplyteachers.com/apps/donations/

Every little amount increases the chances of teachers winning a victory. The fightback starts here!

9. I am more than happy to donate but don't use paypal. Is there another way to give money please?

10. socrates82

I'm sure SST will be delighted to hear of your support! Great to see colleagues supporting the cause.
    I believe there are other methods by which you can contribute - best send an email to:
    st@scottishsupplyteachers.com