1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help required

Discussion in 'Music' started by Glassman, May 10, 2019.

1. Glassman

Glassman New commenter

When not in my day job, I'm a singer of sea songs, shanties and folk songs. I go into junior schools and give a presentation of things nautical and get the children singing. As part of the International make music day, I will be 'performing', over 2 seperate periods of up to 20 mins each, to local pre-school groups.

I will be dressed as a pirate. (dont ask!)

As shanties are my definition adult, does anyone have any suggestions of the types of songs that might be a suitable fit for this age? Not only with the sea theme, but to support in the curriculum (if used at that age).

As you can probably tell, I'm not a FT teacher, just a PT enthusiast.

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

There is a children's song about a 'shipwreck' using a play on words about a nervous wreck. It is easy for the children to learn and they enjoy it.

THE WRECK
    Dm A7
    Underneath the sea, far away from land
    Dm A7
    That‟s where I will be, shaking on the sand
    Dm A7
    Rattling in my rigging, dithering on my deck
    Dm A7
    I‟m just a ner –er-er-er-er-er-erous wreck

If you google 'pirate songs for kids', or 'sea songs for eyfs' there are plenty of suggestions.

Good luck.