1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help required for university independent study - physics simulation primary schools

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PaulGi, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I am currently in the process of completing a physics simulation designed for key stage 2 pupils, that I hope would enable them to gain a better understanding of the forces involved in various concepts using a 2D format, not 3D (beyond my programming capabilities).
    Currently there are two working simulations, one involving springs in the guise of a 'fun' character bungee jumpingfrom a cliff, that allows the pupil to alter the mass on the end of the spring, the stiffness of the spring, and the friction (damping) that determines how quickly the oscillations die out.
    The second simulation involves observing a character fall from the sky with a parachute and allows pupils to observe how altering the size of the parachute can effect the rate at which they fall. This also simulates terminal velocity.
    My main problem is two fold. Firstly, the deadline for the project is at the end of this month, 30th June. Secondly, as the university does not sanction students to be in contact with children, my only option for evaluating the project is through a teachers perspective. Therefore I am wondering if it would be possible if any of the community would be kind enough to visit my web site and play around with the simulation, and then answer a short questionnaire about it.
    At the moment the simulation is not quite ready, and is likely around 2 weeks away from being fully complete, but as i have no means of getting enough evaluators any other way, I first wanted to enquire whether this was viable for the communityand if there would be any objections to this method.
    Many thanks
    Paul

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I think many teachers would be happy to give their opinions on your simulations, we're not usually shy, retiring types though so be prepared for some criticisms if we think they are needed! Come back when you're ready and I'll have a go!

3. Thank you so much for your response, it is much appreciated. The more people I can get to evaluate it the better, so if you are aware of any others who would happily give it a go, again, this would be highly appreciated. I am also more than happy for any criticisms to be given towards it. I will try and get the simulation up and running qucikly, so i hope to hear from yourself and others again shortly.
    Many thanks
    Paul