1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Repotting a cactus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sillow, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Hi All.

Just spending my Sunday afternoon avoiding work and repotting my cactus. My knowledge of things horticultural is small, to say the least, but I do know it needs repotting as the roots are sticking through the bottom of the pot. However, when looking online for advice, it all seems to say "repot to the same level of soil" or similar. What does this mean? Does it mean my cactus needs to be level with the top of the new pot, as it was with the old, or does it mean to pot it lower down in the pot with less soil, so if its old and new pots were placed side by side, the top of the cactus would be at the same height regardless of whichever pot it's in?

Please help! Am confused. :confused:

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Put soil into a larger pot, place cactus on top of said soil and pack extra soil round cactus so that the soil reaches the top of the pot.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Same soil level, but I wouldn't fill it to the top, leave at least a cm of space to water it.

4. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

If you look at your plant carefully you'll see a soil line - usually a darker mark that shows how deeply it was planted last time.
    When you repot, make sure the soil doesn't cover that line or it may rot. Make sure too that the soil line doesn't stand above the level of the soil or the roots may dry out.
    It takes a bit of juggling to get it right but by adding or subtracting the potting material you'll get there. It's not hard.

If you water your plant from above you need to leave a gap between soil and the rim of the pot or you'll find you're watering the compost out.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes.

6. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Better explanation than mine, but agree!

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Okay, thank you, everyone!
    @cosmosinfrance - what you say makes sense.
    Have repotted him now. I'm hoping he flowers this year; normally I kill things off pretty easily but my partner got me this cactus specifically with the idea of it being able to live in our warm flat well, so I have been very careful about taking care of him properly.

8. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Good luck!

9. wanet

wanet Star commenter

What new compost have you used? It needs to be open. Potash will encourage flowering!

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I love cacti and succulents. I was devastated (ok, slight exaggeration) when my huge Aloe Vera died. I'd over-watered it and the roots rotted. :-(

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Do you mean the bag the compost is in?

12. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Sounds like a prickly situation ...

13. wanet

wanet Star commenter

No the compost itself - usually achieved by adding extra sand / grit!

14. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Our Christmas cactus has buds!

Having said that, they'll probably drop off.

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It's a special cactus compost from B&Q. I'm hoping it's "open" enough - I'd love for my little cactus to flower!

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Saw this thread in passing. Intrigued.

Thought it was a strange turn of events which saw you REPORTING A CACTUS. I know they can hurt you but it's not really a criminal offence. Yet.