1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP! REALLY really struggling!! : ( Is it being a mum that is putting them off????

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by loujb, Mar 4, 2011.

1. So I've been applying for 2 months. I don't mean to be big-headed but I'm meant to be an outstanding teacher (have been graded so at every school i've taught)
    My application letter and CV have been checked by many people and they said it's really good. I think it was a bit rubbish back in Jan but I've spent hooouuurs improving it and am v pleased with it now.
    The last two jobs I applied for I fitted the bill (in terms of job spec)
    I have 10 years experience, 8 in the UK, 1 in NZ and 1 as a volunteer in Malawi, so they know I am adaptable!!
    I was HOD for 2 years before I had my babies, I've been part time since mat leave...
    So, what the HELL am I doing wrong??? Is it the babies?? The fact I cost too much??? Or am I just not as good as I think I am???

2. groovybob

groovybob New commenter

<font size="2">a couple of things spring to mind, </font><font size="2">schools (or any employer for that matter) will be wary of any vastly qualified person because they will always be sensitive to the prospect of a new employee finding a better paid job and moving on too soon.</font><font size="2">does your CV come off as too arrogant or elitist? it may not be the items on your CV but the way it is worded. I have had such problems having worked for the European Space Agency and trying to move in to teaching I have generally had to play down my old roles so that schools don&rsquo;t think I&rsquo;ll run to the hills as soon as I felt the pinch of the 65% pay cut I took moving in to teaching. </font> It may be something to think about

3. ha ha!!! Yes it will be like that for him!! (He lost his job sadly so we're grabbing at the opportunity...or at least trying to [​IMG] )
    Can I ask what your colleagues' situations are? I know you can't generalise but are decent teachers failing to get interviews? Slightly rhetorical here but...who the hell ARE these schools employing??? Someone is getting overseas jobs!!!

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You may also need to look at what you are offering. If I remember correctly from a post you made on another forum, your main subject is History? If so, then these posts are relatively easy to fill. In addition to this, you have just come back from maternity leave onto a part-time contract ( my apologies if I am wrong in this ).
    Could it be that the competition is such, that you are up against people who have not had a break and they are being chosen ahead of you, as their knowledge is just that little bit more up to date?
    You may also be applying for IB jobs. These are even more difficult to get without that elusive ( but rather overrated ) IB experience.

5. ...and added to that, lots of teachers are fed up of the UK (it is sh7t) and are lloking (typo) for jobs abroad. Even the cr4p schools can pick and choose now. As I say colleagues of mine are leaving and if they are reading this now...DON'T..until future is secured..
    Sleep well all; I'm fukked.

6. What age are your kids? Many schools will only education 1 child per teacher so you and your husband would both need to be teaching in order to have the education of two kids included in your package. Are you going through any recruitment ffairs? If you have you indicated that you can travel to London the day before they begin in order to be interviewed?

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You don't say how old the kids are but this is likely to be the issue.
    There's no such thing as too good for international schools, so that is not the case.
    On the otherhand, could be something else on your CV. Without reviewing it I wouldn't be able to say.

8. You're not alone wondering about this. It could be that you are too expensive, some schools get around this by having a separate salary scale for new teachers, others just don't hire you. Also, maybe it is something to do with increased competition, in another month or so maybe it will have died down. Keep applying, hopefully something will come up soon.

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I think you may well be too expensive for many schools. I think things are generally a lot tighter than they were a couple of years ago.
    I remember when I was last on the recruitment trail, about two years ago, it was not uncommon to see over a thousand overseas jobs being advertised within the TES during the peak of the season, it's less than half that now. Whilst a rise in use of Job Fairs and recruitment agencies may account for some of this, I think companies are employing fewer ex-pats, and consequently there are fewer families with kids needing schooling.
    Keep trying, there is still time to get that special job. Do you have a preference for a particular location or type of school.

10. Thank you all v much for the advice. My kids are nearly three and sixteen months. We have no preference for school type or location, just somewhere safe which pays enough for me to support them.

11. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

At that age, even with a house husband, it will put some schools off. Many schools out there are still dark ages, if they take non-singles, and will presume there could issues with children so young. A little older and it won't matter so much. It could also be that schools are wondering if you will have more kids once joining; maybe OK in the UK, but not so overseas. Schools spend a lot of money recruiting teachers and they want a full two years minimum; thoughts that a teacher might be taking a few months off one year down the line is certainly a negative. It isn't always the case, my school has a teacher who became pregnant after being in the job three months and is being very supportive.
    However, the reality is that the majoity of schools prefer singles or teaching couples. Some do accept teachers with families, but these are rare as the costs are higher. Even schools that do not pay for airfares for family members would prefer to avoid families (as they don't cost the school extra you might think it wouldn't matter) as they realise that the same salary goes much further (and so you get happier teachers) with singles than families.
    There's always exceptions and some schools see it as a positive, but unless you are going for SLT roles you will find it hard. What subject(s) do you teach?

12. Hist, Geog, R.E. and some experience teaching KS3 English.
    Sigh. That's rubbish, but not unexpected news. Thank you though.
    You say some schools see it as a positive, do you have any idea which parts of the world may be more keen? For some reason I thought ME might want families (as well as singles of course) Or which type of school?
    Back in Jan I got an interview with a school in Tanzania but turned it down (yes I know, I should have done it for the practice) as it was too remote. A good school in Brunei offered me an interview too but I couldn't sponsor my husband on the visa. So I hope this means that I am appealing to someone! I have no idea why these schools were interested when others haven't been... I just don't want to waste my time as my family and I are finding it so stressful.
    A friend advised me to put a short paragraph in the letter saying that my husband would be the primary carer (so they wouldn;t worry about me having time off for sick kids), that I had now completed my family (quashing worries re pregnancy number 3) and that he would be running his business from home part-time (we wouldn't just need my wage)

13. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

Loujb, your original post is one that I could have written word for word myself.

I am in the same situation, I have two children under 3, a stay at home husband and 10 years experience including management. I have put in 8 applications and only heard back from one, for which I was interviewed last week.

I have had so many people look at my CV and covering letters.... it's incredibly frustrating and has really started to make me doubt myself.

I am sorry that you are experiencing something similar, but also reassured that there are others in similar position.

I have been told that I can go back to my old UK school any time I want, which is lovely but we really don't want to be back in the UK.

Have no advice to offer, but wanted you to know you're no the only one!

Good luck with the job search.

14. This is me also... get some interest from schools until they ask me how old is my daughter or what job will my husband have. Had an interview two weeks ago and was told I was a strong candidate but didnt get the job. During the interview they asked how old my daughter was as some of the year groups were already full. May be this is the real reason I didnt get the job. I dont want any more children and am never off to look after her if she is ill, as my husband is at home. Wish they would be honest as I dont know if it is me or something beyond my control which iswhy I am not getting a new job.

15. ...and possibly me too!
    On the bright side 8 years ago I got my current job with three children under 6 and a house husband. I am in Spain, the parents here see it as positive aspect of the school when the teachers children also attend the school and the management look on a family as a more stable proposition, less likely to leave at the drop of a hat.
    However, we are now looking for a change, we have been applyingfor jobs as a teaching couple with three choildren for a couple of months now with no good news, perhaps its the family size. It seems short sighted to me, as parents we are heavily invested in the success and qualifty education provided by the schools we work in. Times have changed also, the economic climate isn,t what it was, I guess we have to just keep filling in those wonderful application forms and keep positive.

Good luck