1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Reading Observation in reception class.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by aug79, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Can anyone help me?

I am being observed next week in a reception class of 30 and the focus is reading. I work very part-time (1 day a week) in the class and on my day we don't do a timetabled' reading' session so I am starting from scratch and needing to do a stand alone lesson.

I was going to do a whole class shared reading activity (10-15 minutes) using a big book that would cover some of the phase 2/3 HFW - any ideas on a good book to use?

Then some adult let activities ability based - initial sound bingos, CVC bingo, simple sentence reading and writing using CVC and the HFW focused on in the shared reading etc. Plus independent word based computer activities, objects and initial sounds in the sand tray etc.

Any other ideas?

My school is expecting an inspection as we've not had one for 3 years so I think this is all about the SLT getting ready for it and the new inspection framework focusing on reading!!

2. Can anyone help me?

I am being observed next week in a reception class of 30 and the focus is reading. I work very part-time (1 day a week) in the class and on my day we don't do a timetabled' reading' session so I am starting from scratch and needing to do a stand alone lesson.

I was going to do a whole class shared reading activity (10-15 minutes) using a big book that would cover some of the phase 2/3 HFW - any ideas on a good book to use?

Then some adult let activities ability based - initial sound bingos, CVC bingo, simple sentence reading and writing using CVC and the HFW focused on in the shared reading etc. Plus independent word based computer activities, objects and initial sounds in the sand tray etc.

Any other ideas?

My school is expecting an inspection as we've not had one for 3 years so I think this is all about the SLT getting ready for it and the new inspection framework focusing on reading!!

3. Hello
    When doing whole class shared reading with my reception class, I have been using the oxfordowl website (and turning the sound off!) it has lots of e-books and most I have found have a comprehension style interactive activity too that you could use in an adult focus group.
    Hope that helps
    Pink Fluffy Bunny
    :)

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Some of the Phonics Bug e books are available free here

5. I can send you some CVC resources - card games, word cards with board games, sentences on cards.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com

6. thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I won't be able to use any internet linked resources as on that day we have no access to the internet as the county are doing some maintenance work on it - so no school can go on line. Typical!

7. Thank you very much for the offer! I have got lots of words games etc and resources I can use. It's the finding of a good big book which uses lots of phase 2 and 3 HFW's I am getting stuck on.

8. Thanks Maz those books are just what I need - shame I won't have internet access that day! Nevermind I will use them at some point!