1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help re prospects following ill health dismissal...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by notreallyme75, Aug 11, 2019.

1. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

hey helpful people...
    Can anyone give me any light at the end of the tunnel stories?
    I have been through a lot in the past couple of years which has taken its toll this year and I have had some time off.
    I was scared by a question on my OH referral asking whether I should be a case for dismissal on ill health grounds. So I went back... but I was soooo not ready. I am spending the summer crying, not eating, and struggling to look after myself and my kids.
    I love my job. If I end up dismissed on ill health would I ever work again?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Many supply agencies would love to have you

3. notreallyme75

I worry that’s my only option though. Am a single parent in a leadership role and need what I earn, so to speak...

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Without prying, it depends on what your health issues are.

If you are able to recover and be fit for work - no problem.

If you are only able to work part time or would need special consideration because you are effectively disabled - again not really a problem.

But talk to your union rep.

jlishman2158 and Mermaid7 like this.
  5. notreallyme75

Thank you... I will. I wasn’t sure they’d be available during the holidays and was just feeling quite low today so thought I’d see what you guys thought.
    I am almost certain I could get back to full throttle again, but probably not where I am now. Bit of a catch 22 situation.

6. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

You can contact the Regional Centres of your Union throughout the holidays. You will find their numbers on the Main Union web sites. We assume they will have been dealing with your Case already.

jlishman2158 and notreallyme75 like this.
  7. notreallyme75

They were before I went back. It was fairly simple at that point tho so limited involvement from them so far, but this was all that was needed. I’d planned on giving them a call tomorrow. Just reaching out to this community in a Sunday when feeling despondent!

8. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

If you want my honest opinion, I don’t think it’s a viable option that you go back. Not only is it not good for you, it’s not good for the school and your classes; having an inconsistency in regards to a teacher.
    It’s clearly having an impact on your personal life, so I suggest that you get signed off with a view of not returning and tender your resignation. You going back and getting dismissed is going to do more harm then good to your career.

9. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Speaking from personal experience. Yes there is light at the end of the tunnel. I was lucky and I know it.

1970devon and notreallyme75 like this.
  10. notreallyme75

Thank you... I know. I have wondered this myself too, am just worried about my precarious financial position! I don’t have classes but I do have colleagues of course, and it’s not good for me, them or school. Thanks for your advice.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

First of all, if you are feeling despondent call the Teacher Support Network to talk.

https://www.educationsupportpartnership.org.uk/helping-you

Don't search around for reasons not to call them or reasons to put it off until tomorrow (or the next day... or the next). Do it now.

Trained counsellors will listen to you without judgement and will help you think through the problems you are facing, whether personal or professional, to find a way forwards and feel better.

Tel. UK-wide: 08000 562 561
    Txt: 07909 341229

The helpline is free and available to all teachers, lecturers and staff in education (primary, secondary, further or higher education) in England, Wales and Scotland 24/7, 365 days a year.

So they are ready for your call now.

Secondly, ONLY take advice regarding your employment from your union, NOT from posters on this for who are not insured to do so. (You have no recourse to compensation if their advice is detrimental to either your health or career.)

Now, get on that phone and then have a good night's sleep.

Wishing you well. :)

Flanks, HelenREMfan, bevdex and 7 others like this.
  12. notreallyme75

All you say is right. Just hoped for some light at end of tunnel tales... thank you for your well wishes.

13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nothing at all wrong with asking for and reading the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel stories. Some will, I am sure, be inspirational. However, just be aware that the manner in which others have resolved their dilemmas may be very different from what is best for you.

Again, the charity to which I referred you earlier may be able to help if the need arises.

https://www.educationsupportpartnership.org.uk/helping-you/apply-grant

14. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good morning. Sorry to read that you're in a bad place again.
    It does read a bit as if you can't go on where you are.
    I would ask yourself:
    What aspects of your job do you really love?
    What things make you ill?
    What can you bring to a job that not many others can?
    What skills do you have that can be monetised?
    What is the minimum you need to support your family?
    How far can you scale back the expenses of life?
    I'm afraid I can't remember enough about you to make positive suggestions. I'm not sure you need someone saying "go and train to be a solicitor ". I think you need to be a bit patient, look around, and see how you can use your skills to contribute to your part of the world

15. notreallyme75

Kind and helpful words thank you... am definitely asking myself those questions. I love my school and my job but things have happened, too many things and I definitely need a fresh start.
    Just wondering whether I have it in me to push in for another term. (For the long term aim of gaining future employment...) But I feel I haven’t got it in me.

16. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I second what Nomad said, ring the Education Support Partnership and ask for EXTENDED counselling. This is where you get up to SIX sessions with the same counsellor.

For long term sustainable support, you could contact your local Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) services. Just Google your council plus IAPT eg Wandsworth IAPT will come up with the NHS services in Wandsworth. You can self refer but it may take months before you get to see someone so in the interim the Educational Support Partnership would have commenced. Also see your doctor regarding whether medications can help you cope and for suggestions for other coping mechanisms. Explain to him/her you are in a senior position and need to be taking something that will not impact your ability to function. All medication, even pain medication can impact your cognitive abilities, so always give yourself a time allowance for your body to adapt.

I can win this, keep your job, maintain your financial stability, reconnect with your maternal role and find happiness and some much need ME time in the process.

And re-contact the union, who are there to support you during this.

phlogiston, notreallyme75 and nomad like this.
  17. notreallyme75

Lovely wise and
    supportive words. Many thanks to you.

catbefriender and nomad like this.