1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help RE: Bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Anna3681, May 25, 2019.

1. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

Hi, never posted before, but after 5 years of bullying I am at my wits end. Was shouted at today for ringing the school bell 2 mins early at play time as my watch didn’t read the same as hers. Heard her telling other members of staff how **** I am, while walking down a corridor at lunch time! Felt like she was going to hit me on the way out from her office she was so aggressive. I have endless accounts of bullying and harassment - all logged. Lots of teachers/ support staff are feeling the same as she is horrid to all. I have requested the Chair of governors contact details so I can have a chat about the awful treatment/atmosphere in the school. Head teacher didn’t attend the previous staff meeting which we talked about ‘reducing workload’ after the deputy head filled our half term with work to do. We were told to fill in a workload questionnaire about how we felt but were told to put our names on so she knew who was putting what?! It’s just horrid. Any advice. Tried looking for a job but I’m on a perm part time contract and these seem hard to come by. any advice on how to go about making complaints/ union advice etc :( happy half term! :(

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

It must have been quite traumatic for you to cause you to make your first post after being a member since 2009. Synchronize your watches, good luck and hang in there.

Anna3681 likes this.
  3. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

I did suggest watch synchronisation but she wasn’t interested in solutions. Just another hit with the stick to beat me down . That’s one example of the many, many petty telling off I’ve had over the past 5 years!

4. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

You don’t deserve to be treated like this at work. Get your union support and write everything down. You’re an adult and your head’s behaviour is absolutely unacceptable.

Sally006 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. Foux da fa fa

Foux da fa fa New commenter

Workplace bullying is rife in our school too. The governors have turned a blind eye. Good luck.

6. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

I said as calmly as I could. ‘Theway you are talking to me is making me feel awful and really sad’ she replied in a rage ‘ I am your headteacher, you are ONLY a part time teacher! Get out of my office!!!’ What the actual hell???!!!! Thought she was going to smack me on the back of the head as I walked out!!!

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Sounds just like my previous Head Teacher. I know exactly how you feel. Eventually it made me ill and I was signed off for a few months. I found a new job and it’s lovely. Maybe look around for a new position?

agathamorse and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Union.

But a pathological bully like this? She can't help herself.

You either move or do your best to let it wash over you. Remind yourself she's out of her depth.

"Gosh, two minutes. Soooooooo sorry."

As for putting your names on the questionnaires? I hope people didn't do that. Why would you?

agathamorse and (deleted member) like this.
  9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what if you just said no and didn't do the half term work?

DexterDexter likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

You could consider a group grievance. Your school should have a policy about this. It would force the governing body to investigate.

Anna3681 likes this.
  11. Teacher_abc123

Teacher_abc123 New commenter

Can a strike happen because of this?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What has your union advised?

13. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

not spoken to them. I was ‘caller 5’ in the queue and after 30 mins I was still ‘caller 5’ in the queue. Just seem like I am yet another victim of bullying and harassment to add to the pile. It’s a joke this ‘profession’. Want out! I am an ‘outstanding’ teacher according to ofsted. My class consistently make good and outstanding progress and this is how I’m treated for 17k a year when I work 30 plus hour weeks! Well they can **** right off!!!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  14. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

I worked so hard to get a First Class Honours in my degree, a masters in Education, an ‘outstanding’ teacher. Went part time so I could see my 3 and 5 year old grow up a bit more. Take a pay cut to 17k and get treated like absolute rubbish!!!!

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I don't get it. Where are the unions in all this?

But this person has been doing this for at least five years! She's not going to change her ways without a helluva fuss been kicked up. Which appears not to have happened yet.

I'd have been working to rule (following the terms of STPCD to the letter) and encouraged everyone else to do so. People have to know their employment rights and insist upon them before things get to this sorry state.

But now? I'd happily agitate for strike action. I went on strike in the 80s. It's the only way to achieve anything. But everyone has to be on board. For my money? Union all the way. But, when the union asks you to work to rule and act in your own interests, people have to be prepared to do as advised. And teachers very often won't.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  16. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

This has been going on for five years? Working for someone who seems to be a prime candidate for being tied in a straitjacket and force fed lithium..

You must be either desperate for the money or there are no other jobs in your area. You say the profession is a joke and yet you've stayed.

If she makes to hit you, RING THE POLICE. Have the **** arrested.

Also - there must have been others leaving. Why, as @grumpydogwoman states, are the unions?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  17. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

I actually love the children I teach. I love inspiring children. I love making them feel loved and cared for. I love the light bulb moments when I have helped them achieve. There are literally no other perm part time jobs near me. Trust me - I look every year. Went for one and it was withdrawn before shortlisting due to lack of funding. :(

18. CWadd

CWadd Lead commenter

I like the kids I teach too. I enjoy watching them progress.

But, sorry - no child could induce me to want to stay at a school with a HT who, if she is as you describe, sounds mentally unstable. In fact, she sounds remarkably like the HT of the school I left in Summer 2018, who was described as a "******* dangerous psycho" by one HoF. Two years there nearly killed me.

If there are no perm jobs you may have to consider taking a temp role to get out. Yes, I get you've worked hard to get where you are. But working for someone like this could lead to very serious consequences, and sooner rather than later.

19. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

the HT is clever in her appointments. Always employs the quiet/anxious types. She will not appoint unless she is happy with them. I’ve just kept my head down for 5 years but can’t take any more. She is awful. There have been grievances and complaints made in the past about her. These staff have since gone. The head admits she is not coping with menopause well at all. High staff turnover etc etc...

20. Anna3681

Anna3681 New commenter

She keeps throwing the ‘I’m retiring’ card around in a bid for people to stay I guess. Wait it out??