1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help re A Levels at 19?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by bob79, Apr 5, 2011.

1. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hi, have you applied formally to any colleges via application? Or have you just rung up? I would think you would be able to enrol as I thought you were still eligible for post-comp funding at 19 but just not yet because the academic year is coming to an end. Aug is the time for enrolment on GCSE results day usually but if you have not applied formally I would assume you'd be on a waiting list. Have you written to the Principal(s)?

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Have you contacted an FE or Sixth Form? If it's Sixth Form then the funding is an issue - FE should be more flexible but it is still at their discretion.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

She was told to reapply to her FE college - the one she had to withdraw from when she became too ill in December, having done the first term of AS courses.The college website says that daytime AS courses are for 16-18 only and I was also told this whe I rang to make an appointment at Student Services.
    I'm hoping that they might let her onto the course again, given that she had aleady started it. The applications for September have to be in soon as the courses fill up quickly - she already has her GCSEs so results day isn't relevant to her situation.
    She has an appointment next week so we'll see how things go then. Thanks for your suggestions.

4. I was thinking access course while reading your post.Some are aimed at specific careers such as access to nursing, some are more general.
    An FE college will have funding for a Level 3 qualification until she is 25.
    She might also consider a BTEC National, it will get her into uni, but not into Oxbridge or for soemthing like medicine. The reason I am suggesting BTEC is because it is coursework based so no exam stress. I don't know much about anorexia, but the little I do know makes me think taking away revision and exam pressure might help.

Also if she has to leave college either permanatly or drop out for a few weeks she will still get credit for work she has done, or she can even do some self study or work experience as part of the diploma.
    The full diploma consists of 18 units, but you can exit with an award or certificate with 6 or 12 units. Some students do a single A Level alongside it.
    Good luck to both of you whatever happens

5. I'm not sure about that. But it is worth checking, especially given her circumstances.

As far as I am aware ( and is the policy I work to when admitting
    students) You must be under 18 when you register for a long level 3
    course in order to get it for free - that and you only get one!!
    Her original college could accept her health as a cause for extension - but would have to get it agreed by the LEA!
    They (or anywhere) could accept her as a paying student!
    Or
    she could wait a couple of years, get a job, save up some money and
    then do an access course - free for those without a long level 3 course.
    And I too would ask if a BTEC was appropriate if stress is an issue!

LASTLY!! Student Services may not be the best informed dept in a college. Remember to ask if the MIS manager has been asked for input - they know EXACTLY what the funding status is for any individual as they are responsible for drawing down the money!
    In my experience colleges are loath to turn away a student unless there has been an irrevocable breakdown in communications. So good luck with the meeting. Come back and let us know how she gets on!

6. ROSIEGIRL

There's probably not much chance of her getting a job pobble - poor health record, no work or experience to build on and 5 years in and out of ED units.
    The BTEC courses look less academic than she would settle for I think - classic anorexic perfectionist! She has 12 GCSEs including 8A*.She wants to do Biology, Psychology and Maths, plus another (I'm trying to get her to settle for 3).
    Even as a paying student she can't do daytime at either of the local colleges and not having a structure for the days would be really bad for her.
    Thanks for the advice about the MIS manager - forgive my ignorance but what does MIS stand for?

7. Management Information Systems - or similar! They keep track of all data for each student andcourse, including attendance, results and funding!

It sounds as though you have a continuing struggle on your hands, hun!
    It would be sad if your local colleges really won't consider her. But, tbh, many would have to think twice, given her situation and the reality of funding these days. She would be a bad bet for a funding debt for them - not to mention their achievement data etc. So be prepared for resistance.
    http://www.southessex.ac.uk/fe/funding.aspx
    Has the criteria set out - these are standard by the way! Your problem may be that she has started a L3 course... but as she has not completed she may still be OK! I just don't know, but the MIS manager will - it is part of their job to know!
    Having said all of that the stark reality may be that she has missed the FE boat and may have to go the Access route or other alternative. Whilst Connexions still exist it might be worth phoning to get a date with them and drill them hard!
    Good luck!

8. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks Pobble - I'll let you know!

9. ROSIEGIRL

Just to update - had a chat with Student Services today. The lady there said that over 19s on the daytime A level courses was at the discretion of the course manager and to get in touch with him. She seemed quite confident it would be ok!
    The course manager interviewed my daughter last year and seemed to take a bit of a shine to her - and her GCSE results - so hopefully all will be well.
    Many thanks for your responses!
    RG

10. Thr government web page says you don't pay fees
    "if you’re under 25, for a course which leads to your first full Level 3 qualification", they then say a level 3 qualification is one that will get you into university.
    You didn't mention whether your daughter took AS levels - that might muddy the waters.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/DG_10033130
    I've taught students in their 20s alongside 16-19 year olds on BTEC Nationals.

Where in the country are you?
    I've worked at a few places in the midlands and found Stafford very supportive of its students.

11. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks sashh - we're waiting for a reply from the course director at the moment but the lady at Student Services seemed to think it would be ok, so fingers crossed.
    Daughter hasn't done AS yet. We're a bit too far away from Stafford, but thanks for the interest and information.

12. ROSIEGIRL

An update - heard today that the course director said yes!
    Thanks for your interest.

13. ROSIEGIRL

Thanks pobble.