1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help preparing two young Italian girls for a month in New York

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mbrizz, Oct 6, 2015.

1. mbrizz

mbrizz New commenter

Hello all. I need some help with ideas to prepare two young Italian girls to spend a month in New York. They will be attending school there. Their English is almost non existent so they really need help. Their ages are six and eight.
    one thing I thought of doing was introducing them to some typical games played by children over there eg. Tag or other such games. Can anyone give me some details of what kids play and of the rules and common phrases used during play? Am I on the right track? I will also do introducing, asking for names and details, asking for things etc. Please let me know if you can help me. Thanks, Margie

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

This is a UK site, so we're unlikely to know the terms used in US playground games.

It might be worth watching some TV programmes aimed at young children. I don't know what US programmes work (it might be best to have US accents/terminology), but I know that one of my daughter's class had acquired a reasonable degree of fluency with the help of Cbeebies. I've tried watching Peppa Pig in other languages: you can guess the plotline without understanding the words, and it probably gets them used to the sounds and the idea that you can use non-verbal clues even before they start picking up any vocabulary.

3. mbrizz

mbrizz New commenter

Thank you. I thought I was on the US site when I started the thread. Obviously not. Iwill try American websites. Thanks.