1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP!!! Prams/travel systems

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by bluecharmer, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Right, I have absolutely no idea what to do or what to look for in a pram/travel system.
    People keep giving me tips about making sure it's not too bulky, folds easily, will fit into car, suits my lifestyle etc etc.
    I think my problem is I dont really know what my lifestyle is in pram terms.
    I will obviously be going to friends and family with the baby, so presumably need a car seat that can be taken into thier houses. Presumably if the baby is sleeping you would leave it in the car seat (in the house, not left in the car), but otherwise, people will be holding/playing with baby.
    I love shopping and will be more likely to drive to places than catch the bus. In fact, I dont think I have used public transport in years, so buying something that can be neatly/easily folded for buses isnt a huge priority.
    I'm not sure about what is sensible for shopping situations. I would have thought just placing the car seat on the chasis is the most ideal/simple solution. But I've been told a baby shouldnt be in a car seat for long periods of time....and I really do love to shop :eek:) Say I go clothes shopping then food shopping...the baby could end up being in the car seat for like 4 hours (including travel time). Would it be better in these circumstances to have a carrycot pushchair where the baby is taken out of car seat and placed lying flat for that duration of time? My concern with this is moving the baby around too much....into car seat, out for shopping, back into car seat for sainsburys, back out to carrycot for shopping, back into car seat for journey home and finally out of any of these things when home!
    Am I right in thinking that you can now get carrycot seats that will fit on the back seat of a car, like a car seat? Are these safe?? If they are, surely there is no need for a car seat - so why do they offer travel systems with both carseats AND carrycot-carseats?! (thinkig concord neo)
    I am so confused!!!!!!!! I have been putting off looking at them for ages because there is just so much choice!! I just wish someone would say "right these are the only 3 available, pick one" .
    Price isnt an issue, but nor is snobbery. I dont mind paying £800/900 if thats what it takes, but if there is something at £200 i'll be equally happy - I just want what works best fo me and baby.
    Any answers or advice would be greatly received.
    x

2. Right, I have absolutely no idea what to do or what to look for in a pram/travel system.
    People keep giving me tips about making sure it's not too bulky, folds easily, will fit into car, suits my lifestyle etc etc.
    I think my problem is I dont really know what my lifestyle is in pram terms.
    I will obviously be going to friends and family with the baby, so presumably need a car seat that can be taken into thier houses. Presumably if the baby is sleeping you would leave it in the car seat (in the house, not left in the car), but otherwise, people will be holding/playing with baby.
    I love shopping and will be more likely to drive to places than catch the bus. In fact, I dont think I have used public transport in years, so buying something that can be neatly/easily folded for buses isnt a huge priority.
    I'm not sure about what is sensible for shopping situations. I would have thought just placing the car seat on the chasis is the most ideal/simple solution. But I've been told a baby shouldnt be in a car seat for long periods of time....and I really do love to shop :eek:) Say I go clothes shopping then food shopping...the baby could end up being in the car seat for like 4 hours (including travel time). Would it be better in these circumstances to have a carrycot pushchair where the baby is taken out of car seat and placed lying flat for that duration of time? My concern with this is moving the baby around too much....into car seat, out for shopping, back into car seat for sainsburys, back out to carrycot for shopping, back into car seat for journey home and finally out of any of these things when home!
    Am I right in thinking that you can now get carrycot seats that will fit on the back seat of a car, like a car seat? Are these safe?? If they are, surely there is no need for a car seat - so why do they offer travel systems with both carseats AND carrycot-carseats?! (thinkig concord neo)
    I am so confused!!!!!!!! I have been putting off looking at them for ages because there is just so much choice!! I just wish someone would say "right these are the only 3 available, pick one" .
    Price isnt an issue, but nor is snobbery. I dont mind paying £800/900 if thats what it takes, but if there is something at £200 i'll be equally happy - I just want what works best fo me and baby.
    Any answers or advice would be greatly received.
    x

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I know exactly what you mean- it's hugely confusing and as a new mum you hardly noticed prams and pushchairs before, so it's a new world. It sounds like a travel system would suit you well. I have a Quinny Buzz 3 wheeler, it is about £800 all-in for the maxi cosi carseat, pushchair which faces forwards and back, carrycot (not a carseat one) and adaptors. I got mine on ebay half price, only used twice so saved loads of money. I went to John Lewis, tried them all out then went on ebay! I really like this one as it faces me even in pushchair mode, even though the shopping basket is tiny.
    Most mums I know take the carseat into the house with a little baby inside. They do get heavy very quickly though so at about 4 months then my daughter could hold her head up really well, I just carried her in. I was lucky that she was really small so she didn't outgrow her carrycot quickly like some of her friends. I stored my pram in the car (check it will fit in your boot before your buy!) as we don't have a garage and I didn;t want it in the house. If I went for a walk from home without using the car, I put her in the carrycot on the pram wheels. For a short trip to the shops eg less than 2 hours I used the carseat on the pram wheels. Now I use the pushchair all the time as it's more comfy for her.
    I would suggest going to John Lewis, Mothercare or Mamas and Papas and looking at lots of travel systems. Find a few you like, practise collapsing them and see if they will fit in your car. Also ask if you can take the display model outside, as they all go brilliantly on a shiny shop floor but it's a different matter on the pavement. You will probably find that these factors narrow them down quite easily, and then just go for one you like the look of. Good luck!

4. Thank you so much for your reply! I have just spent the last couple of hours browsing the web and have a handful of prams to now go and inspect. Fingers crossed one of them will hit the spot. I think they have a Quinny buzz 4 - im sure that's on my list :eek:)
    Particularly appreciated your comments on how and when you use car seat/carry cot. I know it's probably simple stuff to an experienced mum, but at the moment I haven't the foggiest, so thanks again!
    x