1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help Pollen tubes won't grow, any advice

Discussion in 'Science' started by sep2, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Sorry just bumping this up as I am really stuck. Tried again today and nothing. None that I left for 24 hrs grew. Anyone at all?

2. have you looked at practical biology website?

3. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Yes they basically use the SAPS method. Tried everything. Did find this http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/records/rec161.htm but not sure if the agar would work. Might try tomorrow.

Thanks for the idea though

4. Daffodil or lily is the best to germinate in a petri dish with media containing boric acid. I will write the method for you tomorrow and reply back. Its simple and straightforward. I did my doctorate on the pollen tube, so can provide useful information.
    until tomorrow, please hang on. do you have a good microscope?

5. sep2

sep2 New commenter

Thanks for your response. I have a reasonable microscope on loan from another school. It has a graticule so we can work out the growth rate.
    Thanks again.

6. Goat2

Goat2 New commenter

<font size="4">Back in the '70s we undertook an analysis of primula to see the two different types of stigma - Pin and Thrum - which are different lengths. we grew pollen tubes form these using a simple 5% sucrose solution but my lab notes from then ( amazed they've survived they years!) indicated that only Pin forms germinated and grew tubes. </font><font size="4">We used a 'hanging drop' method which was to have a the drop on an upside down microscope slide inside a petri dish, presumably to allow oxygen but not evaporation. Cannot say how long as the notes are wonderfully ambiguous student " after a period of growth"</font>