1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Poem that was about Fireworks scaring Uncle/Veteran of War

Discussion in 'English' started by RsnaGrdn, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hello,

This is my first post. Any help would be great!

Whilst at High School, our English Teacher gave us a Poem about children in the back garden enjoying fireworks, however, their Uncle is frightened by them- due to the memories the bangs are recreating of his experience in the War. If I remember- the children laugh at their Uncle being scared, oblivious to why.

I remember this poem having a profound effect on me, but have lost it's name, and the person who penned it.

PLEASE HELP! this poem mean's a lot to me,

Many thanks,

Rosanna

2. Hello,

This is my first post. Any help would be great!

Whilst at High School, our English Teacher gave us a Poem about children in the back garden enjoying fireworks, however, their Uncle is frightened by them- due to the memories the bangs are recreating of his experience in the War. If I remember- the children laugh at their Uncle being scared, oblivious to why.

I remember this poem having a profound effect on me, but have lost it's name, and the person who penned it.

PLEASE HELP! this poem mean's a lot to me,

Many thanks,

Rosanna

3. Sounds like 'After the Fireworks' by Vernon Scanell