1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Quietteach, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Quietteach

Quietteach New commenter

Hi all,

I recently accepted a temporary post until 31 Aug but am very unhappy. I replaced a teacher who was ‘managed out’ and have decided for probably the many reasons she ‘failed’ this is not the workplace for me. My question is, having checked my contract I have a week’s notice period, as I am the 4th teacher in the class this year, I know the head will be disappointed, as will the parents and children. I know that he’s overall pleased with the progress the children have made in my care, but can he give me a bad reference / refuse to give one, as I’ve not stuck it out?
    Thank you!

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Only you know how bad things are and whether you can keep going until the end of the year. Financially and on your CV it will be better for you to be able to put down a leaving date of 31st August, but not at the expense of your physical or mental health. Have you discussed your concerns with the head or your line manager?

agathamorse and phlogiston like this.
  3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Just go.

If you're the fourth teacher this class has had since September, I feel very sorry for the children, but its not your problem. Something is badly wrong at that school and it needs to be dealt with higher up the chain. No sense killing yourself in the hope of a good reference.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

He can only give you a bad reference if it is true and fair, but he does not have to give you a reference. I think this is wrong, but that is how it works.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  5. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

Leave. You aren't happy there for whatever reason, you only need give 1 weeks notice so go. If your face didn't fit, that's what you would be given - a week.

In short, no commitment either way. No terms notice on either part. It's not your responsibility that there's been a huge turnover in staff, it's not for you to 'fix it'. You want to be in a place where it feels right, this isn't it. I assume you've only been there a short amount of time, I wouldn't worry about the reference issue. Go get another job.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Tricky one. A lot me agrees with the "leave now" voices.
    Your negotiating position might be stronger if you can say "I'm going to leave unless...."
    That might be difficult, I suspect I would find it so.

SundaeTrifle and Marshall like this.
  7. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

This.

It's always unfortunate when children suffer in this way, but you have to take care of yourself otherwise you will be of no use in the profession.

WitchFingers and agathamorse like this.
  8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

It's not long til the end of the academic year. Is it too horrendous to just try and stay and get by as best as you can? You don't have to put your everything into it just do the minimum and see how you go. Can you avoid whatever it is that is causing the problems? At least you would still have an income.

9. makras

makras Occasional commenter

I agree with Bedlam3. If you're worried about HT future reference or finding a job etc. then try to finish the academic year. Things might change and you might start to enjoy working there. Be positive, try to relate to pupils, think of it as a chalenge to your teaching and try to fing ways to make things better.

If you give up now then you might have to do supply teaching which is even worse. Better the devil you know sort of thing.

If things are really that dire then your health comes before anything else.

Best wishes and good luck.