1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help please!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Orchd789, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Orchd789

Orchd789 New commenter

I’ve started a new job at a school. I was really eager until the new headteacher told me that he expects recording in the books everyday for every lesson on worksheets. The thing is I just don’t work like that. I’m teaching in ks1. In maths especially I work with practical resources and record around three times a week. I find that there’s so much pressure to create a volume of work that I’m just so tired. I prefer quality over quantity.

It’s week one and I really want to leave. I cannot see me managing to survive where my values are at odds with the school. I am however worried about my reference. Any advice please?

yodaami2 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Doesn't sound like you want to stay but even so end of week 1 is a bit soon to jump ship. If you are on standard notice periods you will have to work until Christmas anyway and you have until 31st October to hand in your resignation. So wait until then before you resign.

Are you sure there are plenty of alternative schools in your area that would share your values? Or would let you work your way and not their way?

Would it affect your reference if you left after one term? Not necessarily, there's not a lot the head can say in a reference for someone who's only been there a term unless something spectacularly good or bad has happened.

If you leave after a term and explain to other schools why it turned out to be not the place for you that shouldn't be an issue providing this is the only time you've done that. If you have an employment record of regularly leaving after a term it will be a problem.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That's an interesting way to express the fact of somebody being overly demanding.
    If you "don't work like that", you'll need to go and work somewhere else.
    But if you "don't like to work like that", then you'll have to decide what the job means to you, and if it's a good job, then you'll need to adapt.
    And if it's "that's not reasonable" then you wont be the only person who feels that way, and you could quietly consult with others to see what is their workaround. Sometimes you will see there are ways of, dunno, cutting, pasting, prefilling, bluffing, being ultra brief, whatever, which mean the logs can be done cursorily enough to please your leaders, but not in that much detail that it eats time. These things are often not even read, which is scandalous of course, but many of us are resigned to completing numerous bits of paper on precisely this basis just to placate our managers.

But your starting point is "I don't work like that", which in itself is a handy phrase in a job interview, but less handy when working in a team and you have differences.
    Which is it?

Edit-some good pragmatism in the post above

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So get them to record the date and objective every lesson...it's a nice routine start for them and takes care of handwriting practice if you model and talk through it.
    Then, if your lesson has been pretty much all practical, get them just to write 'practical' at the end of the lesson. If year 2, maybe a self assessment statement as well.
    Sorted!

Bedlam3 and agathamorse like this.
  5. Orchd789

Orchd789 New commenter

I asked about photographic evidence and he said that he would still expect the children to record examples of what they had done. We stick in the dates, LOs and self assessment sheets for every lesson so no chance of handwriting practise there. The majority of staff have resorted to copying sheets from ****** just to record work. I’ve looked on books and pupils are getting thing wrong. Refining isn’t being done as the emphasis seems to be on the volume of work. Resources are hardly ever used which doesn’t tie in with White Rose.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You poor sod.

I'm with you 100%.

Practical work. ****** the books. Key Stage 1!!!

Get by as best you can and apply elsewhere. Make sure you check with members of staff on the look-round next time. "What's the marking etc policy?"

7. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

My advice-ignore the silly **** and do it your way.
    Generate some extra data with regular "keyword spelling" tests to bulk up your paperwork.
    He will hopefully get "snowed down" with other demands and earn some of his fat salary legitimately.
    This will result in you being left alone to do your job as suits you.
    Remember you are a qualified professional.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

I'd maybe wait a while before trying this one, given you are new to the school. With some heads you can easily do this and they never even notice. With others, you really can't get away with it and would find yourself in serious trouble.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I think you're being daft. This is a job. Can you really not find a way round this expectation that falls in with your "values". I think you're being a bit of a princess here and even wonder if you're real.
    And if you were playing "spot the sock" bingo - it took 8 posts.

nomad and sbkrobson like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I half thought the same, not because I agree with the requirements, but because of how the response to them was worded. Just "actually, it's not for me".
    We don't know if this is a general approach to directives, or just gauchely worded. But a directive on completing admin against your lesson remains a directive.Saying that you don't habitually do it that way is maybe not so much princessy as simply too single minded to slow down and defer to parity in paperwork. Let's face it, it's onerous and we're already very busy.
    It's also worth noting that often for those who openly object to paperwork or who are late with it, if the leadership are required to tighten financial screws on their staffing, this is the first grip hold they have on scrutinising other elements of somebody's work.
    Thin end of a radar wedge.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  11. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I understand where the OP is coming from because of my own situation (I teach in a different sector to the OP but have the current challenge of adapting to bosses who do not understand how to balance consistency and uniformity with meeting the staff's need for professional empowerment and freedom) and don't think that she sounds like a princess at all. However, I also agree that trying to jump ship week one is not a good idea. I therefore echo the advice given by grumpy dog woman and ten past 7.

12. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I worked in a school that required something to go in books every day. A generic photo, printed on a page with a date and objective and a brief explanation used to be stuck in by the children at the beginning of the next lesson. This was year 2. Not too onerous.

13. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

The new headteacher - how 'new' to being a head are they? What do the other staff say?
    It's too early to tell - follow the advice above and stick it out - or perhaps you don't want to b a teacher after all?

agathamorse likes this.
  14. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Teachers should follow the HTs wishes, as should all employees in any organisation follow their line manager's wishes, or leave I guess. But I am a bit of a conformist!

15. caterpillartobutterfly

:) My headteachers have always seemed to subscribe to this philosophy as well. :confused:o_O:oops:

Pomza likes this.
  16. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

This sounds like sound advice. When you are working under someone else, you usually have to try to fit in with their requirements because they will have asked for this for a particular reason. If need be, just ask them why.

17. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Similar to post 11: sheet with date, title, LO. and explanation. Box at the bottom for a child self evaluation,. Children stick that sheet in and a photo is added to the centre of them at work.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Either do what your asked to do or find a new school which employs a methodology which better meets your approval.

Why are you worried about your reference? If you’re doing a good job, your reference will be fine :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  19. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

I think almost all people who have ever met a Year 1 child would be on your side. My advice would be to seek clarification. A record can be a photo, surely?

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

A photo?

Of a kid with a number line or some bricks? What's the point of that?

You could sit me down with a Portuguese poetry book and take a photo, This would show I was studying Portuguese poetry, would it?

What a waste of time. People actually do this? I don't believe it!!!

Bombart95, Marshall, yodaami2 and 4 others like this.